Angelina Co. judge issues FTA warrant for suspect in VFW carnival brass knuckle assault

Erik Drayton (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Erik Drayton (Source: Angelina County Jail)

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - An Angelina County Judge issued a failure to appear arrest warrant Monday morning for the man accused of breaking another man's jaw with a pair of brass knuckles at the VFW Carnival in October 2011.

The suspect, Erik Dewayne Drayton, 21, of Lufkin, was a no-show at the bench trial scheduled for Monday morning in Judge Paul White's 217th Judicial District Court. During the bench trial, White would have determined Drayton's guilt or innocence in regard to an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge.

According to a previous East Texas News story, the alleged aggravated assault with a deadly weapon occurred at a large brawl that took place at the VFW Carnival on Ford Chapel Road on Oct. 1, 2011.

Erik Dewayne Drayton, 19, of Lufkin, is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit, Drayton used brass knuckles to punch another man from behind in the side of the face. He then allegedly hit the man again in the side of the face as he was trying to get off the ground.

The assault happened on October 1 at the VFW Carnival on Ford Chapel Drive. According to the report, Colby Hackett, Robin Marzette and Royce Jones were at the carnival when at least 20 younger men tried to gang up on Jones. Hackett said he told the men they were not going to be allowed to do it when a man, later identified as Jacortney Marquis Lewis, 20, of Lufkin, began to fight Hackett.

Marzette said when Lewis began attacking Hackett, he saw another man, later identified as Drayton, reach into his pocket and pull out a set of brass knuckles. Marzette said he tried to warn Hackett, but it was too late, as Drayton hit Hackett in the side of the face.

The blow knocked Hackett to the ground and Marzette tried to help him, but Lewis began hitting Drayton and knocked him to the ground, Marzette said.

Several other men began hitting and kicking Marzette and that is when Drayton again hit Hackett, according to the report.

After the assault, the group left the scene and Marzette and Hackett went to a Lufkin hospital.

At the hospital, an officer interviewed Hackett and Marzette. The report says Hackette suffered a broken jaw in two places.

Police obtained a warrant for Drayton's arrest on October 12, 2011, and he was arrested on Nov. 3. He posted a $10,000 bail and was released from jail the next day.

Lewis was arrested on two Class A misdemeanor charges of assault, according to police records.

Copyright 2011 KTRE. All rights reserved.