Quitman home total loss after fire - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Quitman home total loss after fire

Posted: Updated:
QUITMAN, TX (KLTV) -

An East Texas family is left homeless, after an accidental grease fire burned down their entire house.

The fire broke out Saturday afternoon on the 800 block of Winnsboro St. in Quitman.

Resident Shannon Douglas was at work when the fire broke out at the home, which she has been renting for the last year.

“My son called and said mom it's bad, it's real bad,” Douglas said. “There was seven fire trucks here. Just to see it all up in flames and burning, just watching it go and the streets just packed full of people, it's so devastating. It’s such a distraught feeling.”

The fire started in the kitchen, when her kids accidentally forgot to turn off the stove.

“A friend of our kids came by, came through the house as it was on fire and burning to get the rest of the people,” Douglas said. “My husband and the girls were in the backside of the house.”

“They showed up and ran back to our room and they said you've got a fire in the kitchen and none of us really believed in until we saw the smoke,” Douglas’ daughter said.

Everybody was able to escape safely, then watched helplessly as firefighters tried to tame the blaze.

“It’s breathtaking,” Douglas’ son said. “That’s all of our things and now it's all gone. You're just standing there watching it disappear in front of you.”

“It brings you to a place of humility,” Douglas said. “You have nothing. Where do you go from here? How do you start over or anything? It's breathtaking.”

Lost in the debris, irreplaceable memories.

“Things I can’t replace, pictures of my children when they were little,” Douglas said. “We were lucky enough to find a DVD of our wedding.”

And in the debris, her wedding picture from less than two years ago, barely touched. The family said they are just thankful they all walked away unharmed.

“We can’t replace life,” Douglas said. “The rest of it is materials and we'll have to start over from scratch.”

Friends of the Douglas family have set up a Facebook page, asking for donations of mainly furniture and clothing.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KTRE logo

KTRE

358 TV Road,
Pollok TX 75969

FCC Public File
publicfile@ktre.com
936-853-8639
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KTRE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.