Bail set at $1.25 million for suspect in fatal Lufkin stabbing

Richard Taylor (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Richard Taylor (Source: Angelina County Jail)
(Source: Evie White)
(Source: Evie White)

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Angelina County authorities have set the bail for the 51-year-old man who allegedly stabbed his wife at Lufkin's Ministry in Action Living Center on Oct. 31 at $1.25 million.

The victim, Shirley Taylor, 67, of Lufkin, died as a result of her injuries later that day at Memorial Medical Center in Lufkin.

Richard Wayne Taylor is still being held in the Angelina County jail on two first-degree felony charges of murder and a parole violation. He was also charged with second-degree felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. The collective bail was for the murder and aggravated assault charges.

On Nov. 1, KTRE News obtained the audio of the frantic 911 call made my Shirley Taylor's niece, Kavonda Washington.

On the 911 audio, Washington can be heard saying, "Someone just tried to kill my aunt. They try to run over here. No, no, no. He stabbed her. She bleeding in the room. We need an ambulance here now!"

An autopsy has been scheduled. However, Det. J.B. Smith, a spokesman for the Lufkin Police Department said in a previous story that the LPD does not expect to get the results from the autopsy for several weeks.

The stabbing assault occurred at approximately 1:15 p.m. Thursday, according to a press release from the Lufkin Police Department. The incident occurred in the bedroom of the victim's residence at the Ministry in Action Living Center located at 910 Kurth Drive.

According to the arrest affidavit, the 911 caller stated that Shirley Jackson had been stabbed by "Ricky Taylor." The victim told the responding Lufkin Police officer the same thing.

The first LPD officer on the scene noticed that Shirley Taylor had multiple, bleeding stab wounds to her body.

A search of the residence turned up a knife with blood on it, according to the affidavit.

After the stabbing attack, Richard Taylor allegedly fled the scene in a green Dodge Intrepid. According to Smith, information collected during the initial investigation led officers to believe that Richard Taylor was headed to Corrigan. As it turns out, Corrigan is where Richard Taylor was arrested.

Lt. Jerry Grissom of the Corrigan Police Department said in a previous East Texas News story that his officers acted on a tip. They were able to locate Richard Wayne Taylor about a mile south of Corrigan on U.S. Highway 59 south. Taylor was walking south when they found him, and Grison said they believe the stabbing suspect ditched his car in Diboll and walked to Corrigan.

Taylor went into a Corrigan store and bought a change of clothes before continuing on his way, Grison said.

Grison said Taylor didn't try to resist the Corrigan officers who arrested him; he simply told them that he wanted to talk to his lawyer.

Corrigan Police officers arrested Richard Wayne Taylor around 5 p.m. He was transported to the Angelina County Jail Thursday night.

Further investigation revealed that Richard Taylor was on parole when he allegedly stabbed his wife. Jason Clark, the public information director for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice said that Richard Taylor was released on parole on July 29.

TDCJ records indicate that Richard Taylor has five felony convictions on his record. The most recent one was an aggravated assault out of Houston County. For that crime, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Richard Taylor was also convicted of possession of a firearm by a felon, aggravated assault, and aggravated assault with a deadly in Angelina County on April 1, 1992. He received three concurrent 10-year sentences, meaning that he served them at the same time, for those charges.

On Nov. 17, 1987, Richard Taylor was convicted in Harris County for aggravated sexual assault of a 25-year-woman. He received an 8-year sentence for that felony, according to TDCJ records.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.