Mama Steph shares a recipe for a soup with a perfect combination of flavors: sweet potatoes, greens, and sausage. In this case, the greens are baby kale, but you can substitute your favorite, whether spinach, turnip greens, or whatever you like most. The ingredients cry out to be served with generous piece of cornbread!
Sweet potato-kale soup with sausage
1 TBS olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (or use 2 tsp jarred garlic)
1 pound bulk Italian sausage (hot or mild)
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes (optional)
4 cups diced sweet potatoes
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups chopped kale or other greens
1 cup small pasta shells
salt and pepper
Grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oil in Dutch oven or large soup pot. Add onions and garlic, and saute until onions are translucent.
2. Add the ground sausage and red pepper flakes, if using, and cook until no pink remains in the meat.
3. Add the diced sweet potatoes, broth, 2 cups water, and bring to a boil.
4. Add pasta, and cook for 4 minutes. Reduce pot to a gentle simmer.
5. Add greens, and simmer soup until pasta is tender and greens are wilted. (four or five minutes.)
Top with grated Parmesan and croutons.
Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.