HUNTINGTON, TX (KTRE) - A 10-year-old Huntington boy who suffered first- and second-degree burns to his left leg on New Year's Eve has already been released from the hospital and is recovering from his injuries.
Mikey Sowell's mother said that their family appreciates all of the prayers for her son.
Huntington Police Chief Bobby Epperly said the boy's family was burning a trash pile outside their home on Red Cedar Lane when gasoline was spilled. After they tried to light the fire with a match the fumes ignited and caught the boy's pants on fire.
The boy's mother said if he had been wearing blue jeans, he probably wouldn't have gotten burned. However, he was wearing nylon pants, and the fabric melted on to his left leg, she said.
Mikey was transported via ambulance to Huntington High School. From there, he was airlifted to the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport Regional Burn Center. His mother said he was released from the hospital later that evening. Mikey was back home with his family by the morning of New Year's Day.
The boy's mother said even though he is on pain medication for the burns, he is already walking around. She said the family will have to make several more trips to the burn center, so medical staff can change the dressings on his burns.