Family of Nacogdoches Co. H1N1 victim: 'Carol should never have been in jail'

NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) - It's been just over a week since 53-year-old Carol Moore, a Cushing man, died of h1n1. Already his family is speaking out to enlighten people of two glaring problems surrounding his death.

Carol Moore was lucky to be alive all his life.

"The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. Pretty much died," said Doris Curry, Moore's sister-in-law.

Moore's sister in law has heard the story numerous times. Moore's mother was there when doctors brought her infant son back to life not once, but twice. The incident left her son asking into adulthood, "why am I different?"

"I don't know," said Martha Sanches, Moore's mother.

"His IQ was that of about an 8 year old," Curry said.

Despite the mental challenges, Moore held a job at Stephen F. Austin State University as a janitor for 30 years. His family says a sudden development of anger issues forced him into retirement.

Twice he wrote threatening letters to individuals. The irrational behavior landed him in jail twice. The second time he developed H1N1.

"I said, 'You need help,'" Sanches said. I said, 'You're sick.'"

"Carol should have never been in jail," Curry said.

Moore was in and out of Burke Center for short-term treatments. His family wanted a more permanent solution.

"Please help us find a facility where he can be placed, but still have some of his freedoms and continue his job," Curry said.

But Moore was never in the system as a child. As an adult, his violent criminal record created more barriers.

"It was this whole door slamming," Curry said.

The family dealt with a system that's not perfect. They want their story to send a message. It's time for change.

"Two things to be taken away," Curry said. "One is we should not be treating these adults and children with the mental challenges the way they've been treated. And two - people should be aware that this is a deadly virus. It really does kill."

As a child, Moore was brought to life twice. Close to death ...

"He got to open his eyes twice," Sanches said. "He didn't know what was happening to him. He was just scared."

It was a time Moore might ask his mom once again, "Why am I different?"

Moore's family said they are in discussion with an attorney concerning his death. Right now, they are more saddened that they could never provide the mental help he needed on a long-term basis.

Copyright 2014 KTRE. All rights reserved.