Lufkin firefighters say house fire not intentional

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Firefighters were dispatched to a residence that caught fire Tuesday night.

Crews responded to the one-story structure located in the 200 block of Trout Street in Lufkin just after 10:30 p.m.

A Lufkin fire chief on the scene stated that everyone inside the residence did get out safely.

Flames were seen shooting from the roof of the home, the fire was described as so intense the heat is melting the side structure of the building.

Fire Marshal Steve McCool said a gas heater in the den had been moved close to a wall and a loose gas line leaked onto the heater and ignited.

McCool said the couple had working smoke alarms in the house.

"The smoke alarms were still chirping whenever I went into investigate the fire," McCool said. "So, hopefully they did notify the occupants and that's hopefully why they got out safely."

Copyright 2014 KTRE. All rights reserved.