Man in wheelchair trapped in Tuesday afternoon trash fire, airli - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Man in wheelchair trapped in Tuesday afternoon trash fire, airlifted to Dallas

Posted: Updated:
An elderly man was airlifted to Parkland Hospital in Dallas after he was burned in a fire behind his home in Smith County on Tuesday afternoon.

Smith County Deputy Fire Marshal Kevin Londoff says the man, who is in a wheelchair, lit a burn pile behind his home in the 21000 block of Mixon Road off of Highway 110. The fire spread more quickly than the man expected and his wheelchair became stuck in the dirt when he tried to escape, trapping the man in the flames. A woman inside the home saw him and tried to help, but was burned herself.

Fire crews responded to the fire and transported the man to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler, where he was then airlifted to Dallas. The woman was treated for minor burns at the scene.

The man's condition is unknown at this time.

Fire officials advise using extreme caution when burning. They recommend having a hose nearby and making sure there is no wind. Finally, they suggest making sure the fire is surrounded by dirt to make sure it doesn't spread.

Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Powered by WorldNow
KTRE logo

KTRE

358 TV Road,
Pollok TX 75969

FCC Public File
publicfile@ktre.com
936-853-8639
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KTRE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.