NACOGDOCHES COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - A Nacogdoches County man is forever grateful to his twin brother. The man's wife, their infant boy, and a nephew were rescued by his twin from a burning house Friday morning.
This morning the thankful brother saw the loss off of Highway 204 for the very first time.
For Blake Morrow the shock of his home on fire with him in it is wearing off. For his twin brother, Chris, the jolt came this morning. His first reaction was to hug his twin brother.
Chris was six hours away on a South Texas drilling rig when he got news of the house fire. Unable to leave work, he waited hours to talk to his family.
"It was one of those things, until you hear the voices yourself, you know, how can you be sure?" said Chris Morrow, one of the fire victims.
Monday, Chris has an increased appreciation for the brother who jumped into action after hearing a breaker box explode, followed by a smoke alarm.
"Blake starts yelling, 'Get up, get up, the house is on fire,' so I grab my son and open the door and there's smoke everywhere."
"And I grabbed my son. At first we were going to try to go to the screen door on the left side of the house but realized there was no way for us to get out in that direction, so I told her to run to my bedroom window," Blake said. "I ripped down the drapes from it, threw open the window, ripped the screen and we handed the kids out the window to each other."
Immediately, Blake called 911. Difficulty in finding the unmarked property and a mishap delayed fire trucks.
"They had got stuck at the beginning of our driveway," Blake said. "The fire truck had cut the turn too short."
As soon as the fire truck sunk in the deep mud, a helpless feeling came over the firefighters. They couldn't move and neither could the trucks behind them."
All was lost except for a fire-proof safe and this cross, now a symbol of protection and family love.
"It's unexplainable," Chris said. "I mean without him there, I don't know if they would still be alive or not."
Chris said he and his brother have always been close.
"Always. We've been like that forever," Chris said.
Family and friends have come to the aid of the family. Chris's sister-in-law, Bri-Anna Rawson, has set up a gofundme page in the family's honor.
"My sister Kaylah, Chris, his brother Blake, and their babies, Remingon and Charlie, lost their home in a fire this morning, everyone got out of the house okay, but lost everything. They are having to start over," Rawson said in a post on the page. "If you would like to make a donation you may do so here."