Affidavit: Lufkin man angry over hard handshake brandished gun, hit man with brass knuckles

Brandon Richardson (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Brandon Richardson (Source: Angelina County Jail)

ANGELINA COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - Angelina County Sheriff's deputies arrested a 27-year-old Lufkin man Tuesday after he allegedly got angry over a visitor squeezing his hand too hard in a hand shake and brandished a semiautomatic pistol before he struck a man in the face with a pair of brass knuckles in September 2013.

Brandon Glenn Richardson, of Lufkin, is still being held in the Angelina County Jail on a first-degree felony charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and a second-degree felony charge of "violation of certain court orders or conditions of bond in a family violence case. He was also charged with operating an all-terrain vehicle on a public roadway.

Collectively, Richardson's bail was set at $55,500.

According to the arrest affidavit, the complainant said he, his wife, and their male friend went to visit another friend on Virginia Street on Sept. 21, 2013. When they arrived, the friend wasn't home, so the group decided to go visit Richardson at his home.

Richardson met them at the gate to his driveway, according to the arrest affidavit. He shook the male friend's hand first and then the complainant's.

"When he shook [the complainant's] hand, he got angry and stated that [the complainant] squeezed his hand too hard and turned and went into his house." the arrest affidavit stated.

At that point, the complainant's wife told him that they needed to go because Richardson was going to get a gun. The couple started running away from Richardson's driveway, and the complainant cut through a yard to hide behind some brush, the affidavit stated.

However, Richardson caught up to him. The complainant told police that he started apologizing for squeezing Richardson's hand too hard and then heard the sound of a gun being "loaded and cocked," the affidavit stated. He also said that was the last thing he remembers before his wife woke him up and took him home.

When they got home, the complainant's wife told him that Richardson had a gun in his hand, but he didn't use it. Instead, Richardson allegedly punched the complainant in the face with a pair of brass knuckles.

On the next day, the complainant went to the Woodland Heights Medical Center ER, where the doctor told him he had a mild concussion and that he needed to follow up with a dentist for the tooth that had been knocked out.

According to the affidavit, the complainant told the police that he was still in extreme pain from the alleged assault. He told the police that he had lacerations to both his upper and lower lips, a missing tooth, and a concussion as a result of the alleged blow from Richardson.

Copyright 2014 KTRE. All rights reserved.