Lufkin PD: 18-year-old arrested in connection to fatal golf club throwing incident

Leonardo Garcia (Source: Facebook)
Leonardo Garcia (Source: Facebook)

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - An 18-year-old Lufkin man turned himself at the Angelina County Jail early Tuesday morning in connection to a Feb. 23 incident in which another Lufkin man died as a result of blunt force trauma he suffered to his head.

Kentavian Juanya Holman was arrested and charged with manslaughter, which is a second-degree felony. No bail has been set at this time.

According to Detective J.B. Smith, a spokesman for the Lufkin Police Department, LPD and Lufkin Fire Department personnel responded to a residence in the 300 block of Texas Avenue at approximately 3 p.m. Feb. 23 after a man called 911 and reported that he had found his son, Leonardo Daniel Garcia dead.

When an LPD detective spoke to Garcia's sister, she told him that her brother had been in a fight about 12 hours before he was found dead.

Garcia went to Memorial Hospital in Lufkin early in the morning of Feb. 23, where he was treated for a cut to his head. According to Smith, Garcia was treated with two staples to the left side of his head and was released from the hospital at approximately 6:50 a.m.

Although LPD officers talked to Garcia at the hospital, he didn't give them much information about the cause of his injury. He told the officers that he was at a party in the area of Kiwanis Park when he was struck by a bottle thrown by an unknown person, according to the arrest affidavit. However, a Lufkin Police officer patrolled that area and could not find a party.

When the LPD detective went back to talk to Garcia's sister, she told him that her brother often hung out with Antonio Martinez, 20, and Jekson Tercios, 20. Later, Garcia's vehicle was found at Turcios' residence in the 400 block of Paul Ave. Tercios told the police that he was with Garcia when his friend was assaulted. He also said someone threw the golf club, and it struck Garcia in the head.

When Turcios spoke to detectives at the Lufkin Police Department later that day, he said that he went to Garcia's house for a cookout around 5 p.m. on Feb. 22. He, Garcia, and Martinez hung out for several hours before went to the McDonald's on South Timberland Drive, where they allegedly got into a disturbance with several other men.

Martinez separated from his two friends at that point, according to the affidavit. Tercios and Garcia went back to Garcia's house. Tercios said around 1 a.m., he started receiving calls from a private or unknown number. When he finally answered one of the calls, he found it was from a 14-year-old girl. The girl asked him to come get her, and Turcios said no, according to the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, Turcios said the 14-year-old girl was crying and told him that someone had a knife to her throat.

Turcios told the detectives that the 14-year-old girl had also called another 14-year-old girl and asked her to come get her. On the way to McDonalds, Turcios spotted the second girl walking in that direction and picked her up. The second girl told him that the first girl had been assaulted.

When they got to the McDonalds, they started walking in the direction the first girl had told them to go. Turcios said that they were met halfway by a group of people carrying sticks and golf clubs, according to the affidavit. The first 14-year-old girl ran toward him, crying.

According to the affidavit, the two groups exchanged words, and Turcios told the detectives that the men in the other group appeared to be high on drugs. He said that he told them he didn't want to fight them.

When Turcios, Garcia, and the two girls started walking away from the other group, they allegedly started throwing sticks and other items. The first golf club was thrown and missed. However, the second thrown golf club struck Garcia in the head, Turcios told police.

At that point, everyone ran away, according to the affidavit. Turcios, Garcia, and the two girls ran to McDonalds, where they waited for Martinez. Martinez took Garcia to the hospital, and at Garcia's request, Turcios took his car and drove the two girls home.

Later, Turcios took the LPD detectives to the scene of the fight, the corner of Sunset Boulevard and South Raguet Street. One of the detectives began combing the area, and found the second golf club.

Garcia was taken to Beaumont, where an autopsy was performed. Smith said, according to the preliminary autopsy report, the forensic pathologist found evidence of blunt force trauma to Garcia's head; a skull fracture and a cerebral hemorrhage was found beneath the point where the golf club impacted Garcia's skull. The report indicated that the blunt force trauma alone could have caused Garcia's death.

According to the arrest affidavit, Holman contacted the Lufkin Police Department and made a voluntary statement with his version of what happened the morning of Feb. 23. Holman told the police that there were two 15-year-old boys with him that morning.

During his interview, Holman said the first 15-year-old girl Turcios had spoke of came to his house to "get with" one of the 15-year-old boys. Later, she was trying to get a ride home, and no one would come get her, according to the affidavit.

In a second interview, Holman told police that as he and the girl were walking to his house, he asked her if there was going to be a problem if Turcios found about her coming to meet his friend. Holman told the police that the girl told him there wouldn't be a problem because she had five boyfriends. According to the affidavit, Holman told police that his two 15-year-old friends had sex with the 15-year-old girl, but he denied having sex with her himself.

Later, the girl got upset and tried to walk home, but Holman talked her out of it, according to the affidavit. After the girl called Turcios to ask for a ride and he said no, Holman said he and the girl conspired to make Turcios, Garcia, and the other 15-year-old girl think the first girl was in danger.

Holman told police that he and the girl tried to taunt Turcios and the other 15-year-old girl into coming to get the first girl by making it look like she was scared or in danger. He said Turcios insisted they meet at McDonalds to fight. Holman told police that while he and the three minors were walking to the restaurant, they "passed around marijuana and got high."Holman told police they saw another group of people walking up Sunset Boulevard and that one of them had a long knife.

According to the affidavit, the people in Holman's group scattered when they saw the knife and tried to find weapons of their own. Holman said that Turcios had the knife and that he told him to drop the knife and fight him.

After Holman allegedly threw sticks at Turcios' group, one of the 15-year-old boys with him returned with two golf clubs. The group with Turcios started backing away, and the two minor girls allegedly cursed at and threatened Holman's group.

Holman said the two groups were about 40 feet apart when he threw the first golf club, not aiming at a specific person. According to the affidavit, Holman said after he threw the second golf club, he heard someone in Turcios' group make a noise before they fled. He also said the two girls yelled, "Duck!" and dodged the golf club.

"Holman was aware that his actions were dangerous, but did not feel that it would lead to someone's death," the affidavit stated.

LPD investigators obtained a warrant for Holman's arrest, and he surrendered at the jail at 5:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Turcios was arrested on March 6. He was charged with bond surrender for aggravated sexual assault of a child and sexual assault of a child. Collectively, his bail was set at $200,000. His original sexual assault charges are in connection to allegations that he sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl at a local hotel in June 2013 and assaulted a 13-year-old girl at his residence on Paul Ave. in October 2013.

According to the arrest affidavit for the second charge, Lufkin Police officers went to Turcios' home in the 400 block of Paul Avenue on Oct. 9, 2013 to serve the warrant for the first sexual assault. When they got there, they found the second victim, a 13-year-old girl at the residence.

Copyright 2014 KTRE. All rights reserved.