Lufkin PD: Man dragged wife out of SUV, hit her, threatened her with handgun

Daryl House (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Daryl House (Source: Angelina County Jail)

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Lufkin Police officers arrested a 43-year-old man on Monday after he allegedly dragged his wife from her vehicle, hit her, and threatened to kill her with a handgun on April 27.

Daryl Bernard House of Lufkin, was booked into the Angelina County Jail on a felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge. He was released from the jail Tuesday after he posted at $10,000.

According to the arrest affidavit, the alleged incident occurred at a home in the 1000 block of Tom Temple at approximately 4:18 p.m. on April 27. Lufkin Police officers were dispatched out in reference to an assault that had just occurred.

The 911 caller said the suspect, who was later identified as House, shoved the victim, a 57-year-old woman, down and pointed a gun at her head, the affidavit stated before he fled in a red Ford truck. The victim, who was covered in dirt, was found on the front porch of the residence.

When one of the responding LPD officers talked to the victim, she said she and House had gotten into an argument, and she was about to leave when the alleged assault occurred. She told the officer that she went out to her 2004 GMC Yukon, and House came out of the residence and dragged her from her SUV, the affidavit stated.

The LPD officer noticed that there was one woman's shoe on the ground near the driver's side door of the Yukon and another one inside the vehicle. According to the affidavit, bare dirt was visible near the driver's door of the Yukon, and "it appeared a struggle had taken place there."

The victim said House dragged her out of the SUV and started hitting her, the affidavit stated. In addition, she said House pulled out a black handgun, pointed it at her, and threatened to kill her.

According to the affidavit, the victim said she wasn't sure whether the red mark on her chest was from House hitting her or kicking her. She told police that her chest was hurting, and an LPD officer photographed the injury.

The affidavit said the victim's grandson heard some yelling. When he went outside and saw what was going on, he went out and tried to get House to stop.

A day later, the victim went to the Lufkin Police Department to fill out a statement. While she was there, a crime scene tech took pictures of additional injuries to the woman's body, which included red marks on her upper back, upper left arm, and on her right forearm.

In her statement, the woman told police that she, House, and her grandson returned home from church before the alleged assault occurred. House left and returned to the home a short time later, and the woman said he didn't talk to her at all before or after church, the affidavit stated.

The victim told police that she got up to go to the store to buy clothes for her granddaughter. At that point House got angry with her over issues they were having with their relationship and told her she was "no good," the affidavit stated.

Then House and the victim allegedly got into an argument. According to the affidavit, the woman told police that she tried to leave and House took her cell phone from her before he dragged her out of her SUV and into the yard.

When House allegedly put the gun to the woman's head and told her he was going to kill her, the victim started crying and calling on Jesus to help her, the affidavit stated. The gun was still pointed at the woman's head when her grandson came outside.

House "told her grandson to go back inside and that he did not want him to see what he was going to do to her." The affidavit stated that House then tried to make the victim stand up and that the woman told police that, at the time, she was hurting so badly she couldn't get to her feet.

After the victim begged House not to shoot her, he got into his truck and left, the affidavit stated. The woman's grandson helped her to her feet, and she went inside the home to call the police.

Copyright 2014 KTRE. All rights reserved.