A happy Fourth: Gilbert man burned in garage blast goes home - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas


A happy Fourth: Gilbert man burned in garage blast goes home

Posted: Updated:

This year's Fourth of July celebration is even more special for Tammy Yohe since her longtime boyfriend Jason Nelson finally returning home from the hospital.

"After 146 days and almost 5 months with a gas explosion with 80% of his body burned with 3rd degree burns in a coma for 2 months and 28 surgeries thus far my love is coming home today," posted Yohe on her Facebook page.

"I can't explain how this has pushed our mind, body & spirit to the point we thought we would never come out of despair. But love and faith and admiration for Jason Nelson made it so I would never give up on him or God!! He is truly a solider a (wounded warrior) strength that I have never seen before him. Thank you everyone for all your continuous support of kind words and more importantly PRAYERS!!!" she continued.

When Nelson first woke from his coma in early May, Yohe spoke with CBS 5's Allyson Blair.

"He said 'What happened? What's wrong? What happened to my body?," said Yohe.

On Feb. 9, Nelson was retiling the bathroom floor of their rental property near Warner in Val Vista. According to firefighters he stepped into the garage to have a cigarette. Southwest gas confirmed the explosion was triggered by two cracked natural gas pipes that weren't even hooked up to any of the homes in the neighborhood.

"He remembers being on fire and he remembers the tremendous pain, running through the house. He was just trying to find anything because unfortunately we turned the water off within the home. He didn't know what to do. He just panicked," said Yohe.

Doctors didn't expect Nelson's body to heal as fast as it has. If all goes as planned he should be released from the rehab facility in the next couple weeks, and will be allowed to continue his recovery at home.

"He's scared. He's worried that his hands won't ever be the way they were before. They may not. We try to stay in the present and not so much into the future and focus on the day by day of what he needs to do," said Yohe.

Medical bills are piling up and Nelson still has several surgeries to repair his hands ahead of him.

If you'd like to make a donation you can visit Jason Nelson's Go Fund Me page.

Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • UPDATEA happy Fourth: Gilbert man burned in garage blast goes homeMore>>


    Sidebar: Gilbert explosion

    Thursday, May 8 2014 9:01 AM EDT2014-05-08 13:01:59 GMT
    6 homes still evacuated (2/11/14) Gilbert home blast causes evacuations (2/19/14)More >>
    6 homes still evacuated (2/11/14) Gilbert home blast causes evacuations (2/19/14)More >>
Powered by WorldNow
KTRE logo


358 TV Road,
Pollok TX 75969

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KTRE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.