CROCKETT, TX (KTRE) - A 63-year-old electrical shock victim was airlifted to a Dallas hospital after Crockett firefighters rescued him from a lift bucket Wednesday afternoon.
Crockett Fire Chief John Angerstein said the incident occurred at approximately 1:03 Wednesday at 104 South Fifth Street near the courthouse square. A 63-year-old insurance adjuster from Frankston was inspecting some kind of roof work or damage when the lift bucket he was in came in contact with an overhead power line, and he received an electrical shock.
When the Crockett firefighters got to the scene, they found the man hanging from the bucket by his belt. Once they got the lift bucket secured and away from the overhead power lines, the firefighters used a ladder truck to get up to the man and free him from the bucket.
"I would say that he was in critical condition when we handed him over to the ETMC paramedics and the helicopter flight crew," Angerstein said.
The man was airlifted to the Parkland Burn Unit in Dallas, Angerstein said. The Crockett fire chief said he couldn't release the man's name because they haven't finished notifying his next of kin.
Detective Clayton Smith said the Crockett Police Department only helped with traffic control at the scene. U.S. 287 and State Highway 7 were shut down while emergency crews worked at the scene, according to Kathi White, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Transportation.