LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A Lufkin woman and her family are alive today because she happened to wake up after a fire broke out in her house. It started early Tuesday morning in the kitchen of her mobile home.
Though there was only moderate damage, Lufkin Fire Marshal Steve McCool said the situation could have had a very different outcome if the woman hadn't woken up while the home was on fire.
McCool said the family had a smoke alarm in the kitchen but not in the bedroom.
"I feel it's critical, especially if you're a heavy sleeper, to have any smoke alarm that it's able to alert you. If it's got a working battery, it doubles your chances of survival," McCool said. "So it's important to have one where you'll hear it when it goes off, and having one in your bedroom is recommended. Having one just outside the door of your bedroom is recommended, and it's also important to have one on every level of your home."
If your home doesn't have a smoke alarm, or you are in a situation where you need a working smoke alarm, the Lufkin Fire Department has a way to help.
"We're providing that to those residents in need of a smoke alarm who live in the City of Lufkin, and as long as they have the supply, we'll provide them, and not only will we provide them, but we'll send a fire fighter out to install the smoke alarm, make sure it's installed properly, and show people how to use it and give some fire safety tips in the process," McCool said.
McCool said they are hoping to provide smoke alarms to the elderly and the needy. If you need a smoke alarm you can contact Captain Natalie Parrish. Her number is 936-633-0371.
Copyright 2014 KTRE. All rights reserved.