Monday night, a Nacogdoches High School student is in a detention center in Marshall. He's there because some investigators say he made a copycat bomb threat.
He was questioned by school police and a Texas Ranger. Afterwards, he probably thought he had been cleared when he was allowed to go home. NISD Police said there wasn't enough evidence to charge him.
Sheriff Thomas Kerss had the final word. At 4:00 p.m., the boy was arrested by sheriff's deputies, and preparations began to transfer him to a juvenile detention center. Kerss points to evidence that's been collected.
A 911 call placed from a pay phone at the Nacogdoches High School was traced the morning of December 2nd. It was an alert to a bomb threat toward the Nacogdoches County Courthouse.
At the time of the call, a Nacogdoches police officer was in the immediate area according to Sheriff Thomas Kerss. "The officer turned in and was actually able to observe this particular student in the pay telephone at that time."
Kerss says, since the bomb threat, the student has posed as an informant and even accused another student. Kerss says the 16-year-olds' nervousness, stories not adding up, and eyewitness accounts from other students are important to the case.
Despite conflicting opinions from NISD Police, Kerss is confident the right person is under arrest. "The intent of the caller was self gratification by the caller, and to be able to eventually brag to some of his friends that, 'Hey, I called this in, this is what I did', and in this case, not realize the ramifications of this actions."
A terroristic threat is a third degree felony.
Nacogdoches High School Principal Liz Ballenger responded, "We want to send a clear message that we do not tolerate in any way any type of bomb threats or accusatory information that one might try.
There are still no suspects in the first courthouse bomb threat that happened November 19th. Suspect leads point to an adult. Nevertheless, the latest events should send a strong message to young and old alike.