Grab your grandma's cast iron skillet and fill it up with the fall flavors of pumpkin, apples, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Pumpkin-Apple skillet pie
1 refrigerated pie crust (or make your own)
For the apple filling layer:
2 large apples, peeled and sliced thin (approximately 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp plain flour
1 tsp lemon juice
For the pumpkin pie layer:
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBS butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
For the topping:
1/3 to 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup plain flour
5 TBS sugar
3 TBS softened butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. In a cast iron skillet (or a deep pie pan), place one pie crust in the bottom and press it to fit the pan.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the apple filling layer, tossing to coat all slices. Spread the apples in a single layer across the crust.
3. In another mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin filling ingredients, whisking to combine well. Pour over apples, covering completely.
4. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Mix together topping ingredients while it bakes, until they are nice and crumbly.
5. Remove pie from oven, add topping, and bake for 20 more minutes.
Remove and let cool for 20 minutes before slicing (if you can wait that long!)
More recipes from Mama Steph are found here: http://www.kltv.com/category/209490/in-the-kitchen-with-mama-steph
Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved.