On Wednesday, Stephen F. Austin head football coach Clint Conque announced the addition of 21 players to the 2015 Lumberjack football roster on National Signing Day. Twenty of those additions were Texas high school seniors signing their National Letters of Intent to come to SFA with one more junior college transfer rounding out the group of additions.
“Like most coaches across the country, we're quite pleased with the class we're bringing in,” Conque said. “We certainly addressed what we feel will be both current and future needs on offense, defense, and special teams and look forward to getting these young men on campus this summer and start working with them. We believe this group of young men will help us to continue our quest for a fifth Southland Conference championship and continue to compete at the national level.”
The primary focus of this recruiting class was to fill some immediate and future needs across the Lumberjack football program as each position outside of punter is represented in the 2015 signing class. :
• Quarterback (1): Jake Blumrick (Pearland)
• Running Backs (3): Loren Easly (Houston Westside), Marcalas Johnson (Arp), Jordan Martinez (Grandview)
• Wide Receivers (3): Reggie Daniels (Pflugerville Hendrickson), Kiki Hill (Goliad), Jonathan Sam (Pearland)
• Offensive Linemen (2): A.J. Brown (Arlington Martin), Travis Lock (Temple)
• Defensive Ends (1): Jack Martin (New Braunfels)
• Defensive Tackles (1): Paul Hill (Van Vleck)
• Linebackers (3): Teddy Britton (San Antonio Stevens), Spencer Choka (Bryan Rudder), Anthony Jacobs (Cypress Ridge)
• Cornerback (1): Rodney Veasey (Houston Eisenhower)
• Safeties (4): Lawrence Ghansah (Cypres Springs), Kyshaun Smith (Tatum), Trevon Smith (Houston Bellaire), Alize Ward (Prime Prep Academy)
• Kicker (1): Conner Crow (Bay Area Christian)
“I thought our coaching staff did their due diligence of really finding guys that fit our profile, making their presence known and really expanding the brand of SFA football,” Conque said. “Our assistants brought to the table outstanding young men and outstanding football players, some of which will have an opportunity to compete and help our football team in 2015. These young men are excited to be Lumberjacks and we're excited that they and their families have entrusted our coaching staff to work with them over the next four to five years.”
In addition, Conque officially introduced seven transfers to the Lumberjack football program, six of which had already been announced as additions to the team. The seventh transfer to join the squad is wide receiver De'Quann Ruffin, who originally signed with SFA in 2012 but spent the past two seasons at Kilgore Junior College. While the previous six transfers are already on campus working out with the team, Ruffin will join the team this summer with the incoming recruiting class.
Conque, the reigning Southland Conference Coach of the Year, helped guide SFA to a five-win improvement in 2014 as the Lumberjacks finished tied for third in the SLC and received a bid to the NCAA FCS playoffs for the first time since 2010. SFA knocked off a pair of ranked opponents and was recognized for having the conference's Player of the Year (Gus Johnson) and Newcomer of the Year (Zach Conque).
SFA's 2015 schedule gets underway on Saturday, September 5th when the Lumberjacks host Tarleton State at Homer Bryce Stadium. The 2015 slate includes five home games as well as a trip to Fort Worth to battle national title contender TCU and the 90th installment of the Battle of the Piney Woods against rival Sam Houston State at NRG Stadium in Houston. Season tickets are now on sale, ranging from $63 for general admission to $93 for reserved seating. Both season ticket renewals and new season tickets can be ordered by calling the SFA Ticket Office at 936-468-JACK (5225).
Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.