LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Lufkin firefighters battled a house fire in the 1100 block of Mantooth Street in the early morning hours of Monday.
No one was home when the fire broke out, according to Lufkin City Marshal Steve McCool.
Although fire investigators were able to determine that the fire started in a back bedroom, McCool said they are still not sure how the fire started.
Someone at the hospital noticed the flames and ran over to check, McCool said. He said the first 911 call came in at 12:19 a.m. Monday.
Bobby Harris, the home's owner, said he and his wife were out of town because they had taken an anniversary trip to Shreveport. Their three daughters, ages, 17, 13, and 3, were at their grandparents house when the fire broke out at the house on Mantooth Street.
"They told me my house was on fire and I became immediately shocked," Harris said. "I Went and found my wife, and went back up to our hotel room. We looked on facebook and posted to see if someone could come by and check our house out."
McCool said most of the fire damage was to the rear of the home. However, the front of the home had a lot of smoke and water damage, he said.
Harris said they lost a lot of personal items like family photographs that they will never be able to replace. The Lufkin office of the American Red Cross is helping the family out, McCool said.