NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) - A Nacogdoches grand jury indicted a 19-year-old man in connection to allegations that he shot and killed 24-year-old Dominique Brooks at a house on Railroad Street on Dec. 5, 2014.
Marcus Shawayne Isaac, of Nacogdoches, was one of three people indicted by the Nacogdoches grand jury
Isaac was indicted on a charge of first-degree murder. He turned himself into authorities on Dec. 9, 2014.
The fatal shooting incident occurred in the evening hours of Dec. 5, 2014. According to a previous East Texas news story, Isaac had been involved in an altercation with a resident of the house where the shooting occurred.
A press release from the Nacogdoches Police Department stated that Isaac was armed with a handgun when he returned to the house on Railroad Street. Isaac allegedly started firing toward the residence in retaliation as he walked down the street.
Brooks and several other people were on the porch of the home when she was shot in the chest. She was rushed to Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital, where she later died.
The press release said that Brooks wasn't involved in the altercation that occurred at the residence before she was shot.
Bystanders at the scene told East Texas News that the suspect, who was later identified as Isaac, fled the scene after Brooks was shot.
Back in November 2012, Isaac turned himself in to the Nacogdoches Police Department on a Center Police Department warrant for evading arrest. Center Police Det. Joey Haley told the East Texas News that Isaac was a person of interest in a series of car burglaries and thefts that occurred in Center.
Haley told the East Texas News that Isaac was known to run around with a group of about three or four young men, and that Isaac has had numerous run-ins with the law, including several juvenile cases.
While they were investigating the series of car burglaries and thefts, Haley and his partner found a wooded area with numerous trails in and out of it in the part of Center where the burglaries have been occurring. A search of the wooded area revealed a Mazda car that had the kind of damage that indicated it had been stolen, Haley said. Their hunch was right; the car had been stolen from Nacogdoches.
Another recovered stolen vehicle had been set on fire and burned to its rims, Haley said. The Center PD detective said the series of crimes started in late September and continued through early November of 2012.
When Haley and his partner approached Isaac to bring him in for questioning, Isaac saw them and immediately began walking in the other direction. Haley said Isaac kept going after he told him to stop, and his partner started chasing the 17-year-old. Isaac ran from them, jumped an 8-foot fence, and vanished into a nearby wooded area.
In November 20013, the Center Police Department released new details in the case. Isaac was wanted in connection to an Oct. 24, 2012 incident in which two vehicles were burglarized at East Texas Medical Clinic.
A press release issued at the time stated that CPD detectives were called out to process the scene, but "had no suspects and little to go on." However, they did collect blood samples from where the suspect had cut himself while breaking into one of the vehicles.
After the blood was submitted to the Texas Department of Public Safety Crime Lab, it came back as a positive match to Isaac.
The Nacogdoches County grand jury also indicted Horace Kent Rambin, 39, of Garrison on three first-degree sexual assault of a child charges and one felony indecency with a child charge in connection to allegations that he sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl 18 years ago.
The investigation started after a woman came forward in January and said that Rambin sexually assaulted her when she was 12. According to a previous East Texas News story, the woman gave a detailed account of how Rambin forced her to have sex with him.
James Charles Perkins, 47, Nacogdoches, was indicted on a felony indecency with a child charge for allegedly touching a young girl inappropriately about 15 years ago.
Nacogdoches County Sheriff Jason Bridges said the investigation started after the victim made an outcry to the authorities. Bridges said that Perkins stayed at the victim's residence for several years and touched her inappropriately over the course of a three-year period.