Angelina Co. family of 6 loses everything in fire

Angelina Co. family of 6 loses everything in fire
Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KTRE staff
Source: KTRE staff
Source: KTRE staff
Source: KTRE staff

ANGELINA COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - ?

A family of six is without a home and any belongings, including their pets, after a fire on Duncan Slough Road in Angelina County Wednesday night.

Silvia Holst, the children's grandmother, said the fire broke out at about 11:53 p.m. Wednesday. According to one 911 call from a neighbor it appeared that the house exploded.

April Peel, the mother of the family, said they have two boys and two girls, ages 13, 12, 11, and eight.

Peel said she was asleep in her room when she woke up to the smell of smoke. She, her husband, and three of the kids ran out the side door.

"As soon as he opened the door, it made it worse," Peel said. "The smoke came in more and we could barely see, and I'm guessing that made the fire worse because the flames got bigger."

The oldest girl was still inside the house, and she couldn't find her way out. Peel said her daughter had to crawl on the ground and listen to the sounds of their voices from outside to find her way out.

Peel said her oldest daughter wound up having to go to the hospital for smoke inhalation. She has since been released.

One family dog was in her kennel, and the family could not get to her in time to save her.

“It was the hardest thing I ever had to hear,” Peel said. “All I could do is hear her screaming, and I couldn't get to her.”

When Peel got out of her house, she noticed flames by the electrical box. She said the fire didn't seem that big at first, but when they opened the door to get out, it just engulfed the home.

The house was a mobile home with additions.

The American Red Cross has reached out to the family. The family is also accepting donations that can be dropped off in Lufkin at 1010 E.Denman Ste.A. A gofundme account has also been set up.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.

?