Fire chief: Crockett house fire caused by man smoking in bed - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Fire chief: Crockett house fire caused by man smoking in bed

Source: Katie Claborn Source: Katie Claborn
CROCKETT, TX (KTRE) -

Firefighters from two East Texas departments battled a house fire in Crockett early Monday morning that authorities believe was caused by a cigarette.

John Angerstein, the chief of the Crockett Fire Department, said that the fire broke out around 5:39 a.m. Monday. Firefighters from the Crockett Fire Department and the Latexo Volunteer Fire Department responded to the blaze.

“The fire started out after the resident was smoking in bed and dropped the cigarette,” Angerstein said. “The homeowner was able to get out, but he did lose everything inside.”

The home was a total loss, Angerstein said.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly