Shelby Co. couple accused in baby death indicted for capital murder

Shelby Co. couple accused in baby death indicted for capital murder
Angela Moore (Shelby County Jail)
Angela Moore (Shelby County Jail)
William Moore (Shelby County Jail)
William Moore (Shelby County Jail)
Bret Anderson (Source: Shelby County Jail)
Bret Anderson (Source: Shelby County Jail)

SHELBY COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - A Shelby County grand jury indicted a Tenaha couple in connection to the February 16 death of their 6-month-old baby girl on Wednesday. Both people were charged with capital murder.

The grand jury indicted Angela Marie Moore and William Bryce Moore, who are both still being held in the Shelby County Jail. Angela Moore was originally charged with criminally negligent homicide.

After William Bryce Moore was booked into the Shelby County Jail, Precinct 2 Justice of the Peace Marla Denby arraigned him on a capital murder charge and ruled that he shouldn't be granted a bail amount.

According to a press release, the Shelby County Sheriff's Office dispatch received a 911 call at about 3:49 a.m. Monday about the baby being found unresponsive at a home in the Kyle Palmer Trailer Park on County Road 4356 in Tenaha.

Ariana was transported to the NMC-Center Hospital by ACE EMS, and was later pronounced dead by Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Maxie Eaves, who also ordered that an autopsy be performed on the baby's body.

According to the arrest affidavit, Shelby County Sheriff's Office investigators went to William Moore's home after Ariana died and collected evidence, including a bottle nipple with blood on it and blankets.

When the investigators spoke to William Moore the first time, he said that he and his wife loaded their children in the car, so they could take the trash to the dumpster, the affidavit stated. He allegedly told the investigators that they returned to their home, Ariana, who wasn't strapped in to her car seat, fell out of the seat, rolled down the stairs, and landed on her face.

The affidavit stated that William Moore told the investigators that his wife picked Ariana up, took her inside, cleaned her up, and gave her a baby bottle. He also told them that his wife got up in the middle of the night to turn the heat off and found Ariana lying lifeless in her crib, the affidavit stated.

William Moore allegedly told the investigators that he tried performing CPR on Ariana.

Then the investigators interviewed William Moore's wife and found that although their stories were basically the same, there were inconsistencies.

According to the affidavit, the autopsy revealed that Ariana had no external injuries that seemed consistent with a fall. In addition, the baby girl's onesie didn't have any dirt on it, and the trailer park's surveillance footage showed that they never left to go to the dumpster like they said.

The SCCO investigators learned from the forensic pathologist who performed the autopsy that Ariana had suffered injuries to her liver, diaphragm, colon, and spleen that were consistent with blunt force trauma, the affidavit stated.

At first, William Moore allegedly told the investigators that he had "stretched' the truth and that they never took the trash to the dumpster and repeated his original version of the story - that Ariana had fallen out of her car seat.

During the investigators' second interview with Angela Moore, when she was faced with what they had learned, she started crying and said that she didn't want to get in trouble.

According to the affidavit, Angela Moore told one of the investigators that she heard their daughter crying at about 9:30 p.m. on Feb. 15. She said after she told her husband to go and give Ariana a bottle, he was obviously "agitated" and was yelling for their daughter to quit crying, the affidavit stated.

Angela Moore told the investigators that she saw her husband strike Ariana with his fist while the baby was lying in her crib, the affidavit stated.

After the investigators confronted William Moore with the inconsistencies in the stories and the autopsy results, he allegedly admitted to hitting Ariana and demonstrated by hitting the stomach area of a baby doll with his closed fist.

The affidavit stated that William Moore told the investigators he wasn't sure how many times he hit his daughter.

The Shelby County grand jury also indicted Bret Anderson, 25, for criminally negligent homicide in connection to the accidental shooting death of Taylor Keele, 21 in August 2014.

According to a previous East Texas News story, the accidental shooting occurred at a residence on County Road 1024. Shelby County Sheriff Willis Blackwell said Anderson were Keele were handling a 9 mm pistol when Anderson unintentionally fired the weapon, striking Keele in the chest.

Keele was transported to a San Augustine hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. Anderson was arrested and transported to the Shelby County Jail on a manslaughter charge.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.