Man killed in Hudson-area home fire - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Breaking

Man killed in Hudson-area home fire

Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
Edward Clark (Tammy Wilson) Edward Clark (Tammy Wilson)
HUDSON, TX (KTRE) - A Hudson man died early Monday in a mobile home fire on FM 1194.

Hudson Fire Marshal Joe Burton said Edward Newton Clark, 73, died in the blaze around 3:51 a.m.

"We heard a pop, and I thought it was a gunshot," Tanya Wantland, a neighbor. 

The neighbors soon saw it was his home burning quickly.  He was inside. 

"It was within ten minutes, and the whole house was engulfed," Wantland said. 

Clark's neighbors went farther than making a 911 call once the flames rose and took saving Clark into their own hands.  

"Everybody tried to save him, he made it to the front door," said Tammy Wilson, Clark's daughter-in-law. 

"They couldn't pull him out," Wantland said. 

With Clark was his dog, Jerico. "He must have had the little dog in his arms," Wantland said. 

"He had Jerico in his hands trying to get the dog out too with him," Wilson said. 

While Clark struggled to get out of the flames safely with his dog, his landlord and other neighbors faced the smoke to help them. 

"I did everything I could humanly do," Wantland said. 

The landlord who we know as Sue, had heart problems herself. She was taken to the hospital after her efforts to save Clark led to a heart attack. 

"We heard a loud boom, and she fell off the porch and landed on the ground," Wantland said. 

His son lives just down the road.  He's come to the scene several times since the fire and remembered his father who he says loved his grandkids and loved to fish has been painful.     

"It's pretty hard," Wilson said. 

According to Burton, the cause of the fire appeared to be a gas heater in the mobile home. He says there was also medical oxygen in the home that possibly contributed to the fire.

Hudson and Central VFDs responded to the blaze.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly