Fire marshall: Fire at downtown Lufkin paint store started in trash container

Fire marshall: Fire at downtown Lufkin paint store started in trash container

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Lufkin's city fire marshal said he thinks the fire that broke out at Jeff Nunley Painting started when "spontaneous heating" occurred in a trash container about two feet from the building Tuesday night.

Lufkin City Fire Marshal Steve McCool said that oily rags in the trash container started spontaneously heating and then the heat radiated through the windows and caught the curtain on fire.

Firefighters got the call to head to Jeff Nunley Painting, which is on South Jackson near First Street at about 10 p.m. Tuesday. No one was injured in the blaze.

Because the building contained paint and potentially flammable liquids, firefighters had to be careful in their battle against the flames.

"That's the primary reason why we made a defensive attack when we first arrived rather than entering the building right away," said Bobby Hobbs, a battalion chief for the Lufkin Fire Department. "We fought the fire from the exterior of the building until we had it under control to reduce the danger from any flammable liquids inside."

"I just come running up here because I have a lot of paint in there," said Jeff Nunley. "I got a lot of cabinets that we were doing that caught on fire that was ruined."

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.