Carbon Monoxide Poisoning A Serious Concern - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

2/1/05-Lufkin

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning A Serious Concern

by Stuart Burson

It's odorless, colorless, and tasteless. It can also be deadly. Carbon monoxide's latest victim, a Vermont man, was found dead in his apartment over the weekend. An incident that sent six others to the hospital. Preliminary investigations into the Vermont carbon monoxide death show the apartment's gas water boiler failed.

Gas powered appliances that aren't burning correctly can produce the deadly gas.

"When you have gas stoves, heaters, any type of appliance that uses gas, if you notice it's producing a reddish, orange type of flame, then, that's considered incomplete combustion. And one of the products of that is carbon monoxide." says Lt. Ryan Watson with the Lufkin Fire Department.

Common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include flushed skin, fatigue, and headache. If not treated, carbon monoxide can have a deadly effect.

But, there are some simple things you can do to avoid danger. Carbon monoxide detectors are available at just about any hardware store. Much like smoke detectors, these devices "sniff out" excessive levels of carbon monoxide and sound an alarm. Some more expensive models can even keep a record of when it records a high level of the gas.

Experts say if you have any gas powered appliances, make sure they're well ventilated to avoid the buildup of carbon monoxide in your home.

Powered by Frankly