LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - National Nurses Day is on Wednesday, May 6, 2015, but CHI St. Luke's Memorial's nursing staff is celebrating by hosting its own Nurses Week.
On Tuesday, nursing administrators served up a free breakfast buffet to its 400-plus nursing staff team. This year's theme is “Our Journey to Excellence.”
This is the fifth year for CHI St. Luke' to host its nurses week, instead of Nurses Day.
"We're here to celebrate nurses and the phenomenal job that they do taking care of our patients,” said Chief Nursing Officer Michael Planters, who joined CHI in October. In that time, he has instituted a lot training and patient-focused care procedures.
“You are physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally drained because you've given everything that you have, not only to the patient, but also to their family and their co-workers,” Rains explained.
Rains is part of the planning team for the week's events, which includes a different theme for each day of the week:
- Monday – “Hats Off To Excellence,” where everyone wore that hat of choice
- Tuesday – “Wacky Sun Glasses to see our bright future, everyone were to wear crazy sun glasses
- Wednesday – Flower Power for Excellence, wear something with flowers
- Thursday – Crazy socks to “Walk The Pathway To Excellence,” wear wild/colorful socks
- Friday – Team Colors for Team Excellence,” wear favorite team colors/shirt