Records: Dead Jasper boy's dad scalded 2nd child

Records: Dead Jasper boy's dad scalded 2nd child
Anthony Powell (Source: Houston Police Department)
Anthony Powell (Source: Houston Police Department)
Prosha land (Source: Houston Police Department)
Prosha land (Source: Houston Police Department)

HOUSTON, TX (KTRE) - New details have emerged in the case of the Houston man who allegedly beat his 3-year-son to death because he was frustrated that the little boy wasn't mastering potty training fast enough.

East Texas News has obtained a copy of the Harris County arrest affidavit that states Anthony Trakemon Powell, 24, also scalded another son with hot water. In addition, Prosha Land, 23, the boys' aunt, was arrested and charged with two counts of felony injury to a child by omission for failing to report the alleged abuse by Powell.

According to the affidavit, Land's collective bail amount was set at $80,000. Powell's bail amount has been set at $250,000 for the capital murder charge. Both suspects were arrested on May 30.

The affidavit stated that the alleged scalding incident occurred on or about May 28. The second victim was identified as Cameron Powell, a "child younger than fifteen years of age." It also stated that she failed to stop the assault by reporting it to police or by protecting the little boy.

Powell's capital murder charge is in connection to the death of his son, Tristan.

According to the affidavit, Anthony Trakemon Powell, 24, picked up his 3-year-old son, Tristan, from the child's mother's home in Jasper on May 10 and brought him to his sister's home in Houston.

In the affidavit, Land said Powell wanted to potty train Tristan and became frustrated with the lack of progress, the affidavit stated.

"[Land] stated that within the last few days, Powell told her, 'I'm tired of beating their [expletive], and them not learning,'" the affidavit stated.

She said she witnessed her brother strike the child violently multiple times each time Tristan had an accident on May 26 or 27, the affidavit stated. After one of these alleged assaults, Powell picked up Tristan "like a rag doll" and hit him so hard the child fell to the floor, hit his head on the tile, and began acting "strangely."

According to the affidavit, Land said Tristan, whom she described as "my boy," repeatedly said that he was "sleepy" and didn't want to be held by her.

On the morning of May 28, Powell woke Land and told her Tristan wasn't breathing. Land told a Houston PD investigator that she heard Tristan "wheezing" and thought he was having an asthma attack, the affidavit stated.

After Land tried to administer a "breathing treatment" and Tristan didn't respond, she called 911, and the little boy was taken to the hospital, the affidavit stated.

Tristan was taken to Texas Children's Hospital, where during surgery, doctors realized he was suffering from brain swelling and multiple skull fractures and believed he would not survive. Tristan was pronounced dead on May 29.

According to the affidavit, the Houston PD investigator also talked to a special investigator with Child Protective Services who had interviewed Land's 5-year-old daughter. The girl allegedly told the CPS investigator that she saw Powell hitting Tristan with his hand and a belt on many occasions.

Land's daughter also told the CPS investigator that she saw her mother striking Tristan with a belt after he had an 'accident," the affidavit stated.

When Houston PD investigators spoke to Powell, he admitted to striking Tristan on several occasions with his hand or a belt because he was trying to "potty train" him, the affidavit stated. However, he allegedly denied hitting his son in the head.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.