Livingston PD: Intoxicated man assaulted 3 officers, tried to take gun

Livingston PD: Intoxicated man assaulted 3 officers, tried to take gun

LIVINGSTON, TX (KTRE) - Livingston Police officers arrested a 50-year-old man on Monday after he allegedly fought with officers and later tried to take officer's duty weapon when he was being evaluated at the emergency room at CHI St. Luke's Memorial.

Pheinix Lee Jones, of Livingston, is still being held in the Polk County Jail on a felony attempt to take a weapon from an officer charge, three felony assaulting a public servant charges, a misdemeanor public intoxication charge, and a misdemeanor resisting arrest charge. Collectively, his bail amount has been set at $83,000.

According to a press release, Livingston Police officers were dispatched to the 800 block of West North to assist Americare EMS with a subject involved in a disturbance on June 1.

The Americare EMTs told the officers that they had received a 911 call of a man who had fallen in the road and was vomiting. When the Americare personnel checked to see if Jones needed help, he refused to cooperate with them, according to the press release.

The Livingston PD officers recognized Jones as soon as they got to the scene, and they found him kneeling in the grass near the curb. Jones allegedly had his fists clenched and was sweating profusely.

When the officers made contact with Jones, he became violent, the press release stated. The Livingston Police officers determined that Jones was intoxicated enough that he was a danger to himself and others.

Jones allegedly refused to comply with the officers' commands while they were trying to take him into custody. He began kicking them and using force against them, the press release stated.

After the LPD officers managed to restrain Jones, they took him to the CHI St. Luke's Memorial emergency room to be evaluated. While Jones was at the hospital, he kicked one officer in the face and tried to take another officer's duty weapon, the press release stated.

Later Monday night, Jones was cleared medically, and the Livingston Police officers took him to the Polk County Jail without further incident. The press release stated that none of the LPD officers received any serious injuries in the incident and remained on duty.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.