Lufkin fire official: Fire on Raguet Street started on stove - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Lufkin fire official: Fire on Raguet Street started on stove

Sourrce: KTRE Staff Sourrce: KTRE Staff
Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) -

According to Lufkin's city fire marshal, the fire that heavily damaged a house on Raguet Street on June 4 started when a woman in the home left a stove burner on when the family left the home.

City Fire Marshal Steve McCool said that after the burner was left on, a pan of grease that had been left on the stove heated up and caught on fire.

“It appears that they flames reached the ceiling and burned through to the attic,” McCool said. “Once the fire got in the attic, it made it hard for us to control. This is the perfect example of why it is important to remember to turn off the burner when you are not I n need of it. It is also important to remove any grease from the stove area.”

According to a previous East Texas News story, fire crews responded to reports of heavy smoke coming out of the back of a home in the 1100 Raguet Street at about 9 p.m. on June 4.

When the firefighters arrived on the scene, there was concern that someone was still inside the home. Jesse Moody, a Lufkin firefighter, said firefighters did an interior search of the residence and found that no one was inside.

Although the home was a total loss, some of the firefighters at the scene said many of them items inside the house could be salvageable.

The Hudson and Nacogdoches fire departments also assisted in battling the blaze. It took nearly three hours for fire crews to get the fire under control.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly