In this recipe, you can use any produce that you have on hand; this is a simple guideline that you can really play with!
Mama Steph's Parmesan vegetable skillet bake
3 small or two large zucchini squashes
1 large sweet onion (Like Noonday or Vidalia, if possible)
2 large or three medium tomatoes
1 or 2 cups of sliced white or baby Bella mushrooms (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups of grated Parmesan cheese
1. Slice zucchini, onion, and tomatoes into uniform, thin slices.
2. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. (substitute your favorite fat, if preferred: butter, coconut oil, etc.) Add onions, and saute in the oil until they become translucent, then remove to a bowl and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, make a single layer of zucchini slices across the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. 4. Use half the onions, spreading them across the zucchini layer.
5. Top onions with a single layer of tomatoes.
6. Sprinkle half of Parmesan cheese over the tomatoes.
7. If using mushrooms, (which you'd need to saute in oil or butter ahead of time), add them now, spreading across the Parmesan layer.
8. Repeat layers: zucchini, onion, tomatoes, Parmesan.
9. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, or until cheese on top is nicely golden brown.
Serve with a nice crusty baguette if you'd like, which makes the perfect tool for sopping up the delicious juices in the pan. Grilled chicken or fish or a nice pork tenderloin would be the perfect protein to serve this delicious side alongside.
I hope you enjoy this summer-y recipe; adjust it to feature your own favorite vegetables; using thinly-sliced yellow squash would work wonderfully well Or add fresh basil and some garlic to give it an Italian flair.
This recipe was originally posted on Mama Steph's blog, InMamaStephsKitchen.com.