TxDOT to add flashing light, warning signs to Hwy 69-FM 2021 in - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

TxDOT to add flashing light, warning signs to Hwy 69-FM 2021 intersection

Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
ANGELINA COUNTY, TX (KTRE) -

On Thursday, the Texas Transportation Commission approved 62 transportation contracts that totaled $294.8 million, including three projects for the Lufkin District that total $15.7 million.

The Angelina County projects include an $86,851 project that add an intersection flashing beacon and advance warning signs in three locations. South Texas Illumination, the contractor for the project will install a flashing light on US Highway 69 at FM 2012 at a cost of $33,572.

The intersection is considered one of the most dangerous in the county. Business owner John Williams gave up a piece of his property for the project.

"There have been a lot of wrecks here in the 13 years I have been here, but there has only been one fatality," Williams said. " You know if it saves one life, it is very much worth it to me."

Williams said the wrecks have become common place.

"Before they put the caution lights in, people weren't very aware of it," Williams said. "They would sometimes come out of 2021 and not stop. It's always been a matter of time it seemed like. We would be sitting in the office seemed like once a month you would hear a big crash."

The project will also include adding advance warning signs at the intersections of SL 287 and 1194 and US 69 at FM 2251.

The Transportation Commission also approved a $13.9 million project in Polk County that will involve adding passing lanes to US Highway 190 from Onalaska to the intersection of FM 2457 for a cost of $10.8 million. In addition, the project will include safety treating fixed objects US 190 all the way to US Highway 59 for a cost of $3.6 million.

San Augustine County received $1.2 million for a project on FM 705 that will involve safety treating fixed objects from State Highway 147 to 2.4 miles south of FM 83.

“These projects are part of the statewide Highway Safety Improvement Program," TXDOT Director of Operations Brad Tieman, P.E. said. "The goal of this program is to achieve a significant reduction in traffic fatalities and serious injuries on all public roads.  This is a federally funded program in which they fund 90% of construction costs and state funds the remaining 10%.  These locations were submitted and competed statewide with similar work and were selected based upon a benefit/cost analysis.  Flashing beacons supplement other traffic control devices where additional emphasis and warning for drivers is desired.”

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.

  • East Texas NewsMore>>

  • Zavalla's water issues combined with fires concern residents

    Zavalla's water issues combined with fires concern residents

    Friday, January 19 2018 5:20 PM EST2018-01-19 22:20:38 GMT
    Source: KTRE StaffSource: KTRE Staff

    The Zavalla Fire Department requested multiple tankers, Friday morning, after getting a call of a mobile home fire. The additional water was called in due to city's current water issues. 

    More >>

    The Zavalla Fire Department requested multiple tankers, Friday morning, after getting a call of a mobile home fire. The additional water was called in due to city's current water issues. 

    More >>
  • Restaurant Report - Angelina County 01/18/18

    Restaurant Report - Angelina County 01/18/18

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:21 PM EST2018-01-18 20:21:46 GMT

    Lufkin Travel Plaza, Crown Colony, and Luckett's Hole in One

    More >>

    Lufkin Travel Plaza, Crown Colony, and Luckett's Hole in One

    More >>
  • Timpson woman living life to fullest after heart transplant

    Timpson woman living life to fullest after heart transplant

    Thursday, January 18 2018 6:42 PM EST2018-01-18 23:42:23 GMT
    After almost a lifetime of health problems, a Timpson woman is living each day to its fullest following a heart transplant five months ago.  Danquein Horton's journey from facing death to now having to be told to “slow down” is an inspiration to all.  Horton, “Dee” to the friends, family, and co-workers surrounding her this day at the Surgery Center of Nacogodoches, is always greeted with love.  "I think I have the greatest co-workers in ...More >>
    After almost a lifetime of health problems, a Timpson woman is living each day to its fullest following a heart transplant five months ago.  Danquein Horton's journey from facing death to now having to be told to “slow down” is an inspiration to all.  Horton, “Dee” to the friends, family, and co-workers surrounding her this day at the Surgery Center of Nacogodoches, is always greeted with love.  "I think I have the greatest co-workers in ...More >>
Powered by Frankly