Lufkin PD officers find, arrest stabbing suspect

Lufkin PD officers find, arrest stabbing suspect

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Officers with the Lufkin Police Department arrested a 27-year-old man Tuesday in connection to allegations that he stabbed a man in the side and cut him on the wrist on Oct. 17.

Elias Jasiel Hernandez, of Lufkin, was arrested and charged with second-degree felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He was released from the Angelina County Jail after he posted a bail amount of $20,000.

Hernandez' arrest came less than a week after the Lufkin Police Department asked for the public's help in finding him.

Hernandez allegedly stabbed Angel Sanchez on Oct. 17. Sanchez told Det. Jarrod Hennigan that he has a child with Hernandez's current girlfriend and for that reason, Hernandez does not like him.

According to the arrest affidavit, LPD Detective Jarrod Hennigan was dispatched out to Jodie Avenue on Oct. 17 in reference to an aggravated assault that had just occurred. When he got there, he talked to the officers at the scene and learned that Hernandez had stabbed Sanchez.

The LPD detective noticed a large blood trail in the street. In addition, a white Chevrolet Impala parked in front of a house in the 300 block of Jodie Avenue had a large amount of blood in it as well.

When the detective talked to man who lived in that block, he told the detective that a Hispanic man had pulled up in front of his house. The man, who was visibly bleeding, got out of the car and asked for the witness to call 911. At that point, the injured man, who was later identified as Sanchez lay down in the street and waited for the ambulance to arrive.

Sanchez told Hennigan that his car broke down in the 400 block of East Jodie Avenue near Hernandez's house and another man in a black Mustang stopped to help him, according to a press release. He said that while the man in the Mustang circled the block to help push his stalled vehicle down the street, Hernandez approached.

Sanchez said he shook Hernandez's hand and then Hernandez tried to hit him. Because he saw something in Hernandez's hand, Sanchez said, he swung back at him in defense and hit Hernandez.

At that point, Sanchez said, Hernandez extended whatever was in his hand toward Sanchez – possibly a knife – and stabbed him in the left side. Sanchez said Hernandez went for him again with the knife, so he put his left arm up to block the attack, and Hernandez cut him on the right wrist.

Sanchez said Hernandez then got into the Mustang with the other man who had stopped to help him and drove away.

Then Sanchez pushed his car in front of the house in the 300 block of Jodie Avenue, where he requested a 911 call and collapsed in the street.

A juvenile eyewitness' account of what happened backed up what Sanchez told the detective.

Sanchez was taken by ambulance to CHI St. Luke's Memorial Lufkin, where he left the emergency room against medical advice.

He returned to the hospital for treatment after realizing the severity of the stab wound once he was at home. He was then taken to East Texas Medical Center in Tyler where he was treated for a half-inch cut that lacerated his liver and a two-inch cut on his arm that caused tendon damage.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.