'Jacks Shocked by Resilient Tulane Squad in 60-59 Setback

'Jacks Shocked by Resilient Tulane Squad in 60-59 Setback

From SFA Athletics

NASHVILLE, TENN( Press Release)- Leading by as many as 26 points in the first half, the Stephen F. Austin men's basketball team fell victim to a 32-18 second-half rally by Tulane which was capped by Seth Osetkowski's game-winning layup with 16 seconds to go as SFA fell to the Green Wave, 60-59, in its second game of the Challenge in Music City.

Senior Clide Geffrard followed up a career-night on Thursday with his second-straight outing of 20 or more points, but a 41-27 rebounding disadvantage and a 5-for-23 (21.7-percent) showing from the field in the final 20 minutes of action doomed the Lumberjacks. Geffrard, a product of Pompano Beach, Fla., slung in a game-high 20 points to go along with eight rebounds and two assists.

The offensive punch that the 'Jacks clocked Tulane with in the first 13:45 of the bout would have likely floored the vast majority of other competitors. In that span, SFA fired in 61-percent of its total scoring output on the evening and opened up a 36-10 lead on the Green Wave, who were slotted for an 11th-place finish in the American Athletic Conference heading into the 2015-16 campaign.

In the midst of SFA's sizable scoring barrage to open the game, Geffrard submitted a four-point play when he strutted to the line and sank a free throw after canning SFA's fourth long ball of the half at the 7:40 mark of the frame.

After Geffrard's four-point outburst, Dallas Cameron's mid-range swish pushed the SFA edge to its largest of the night before Tulane got to work on its comeback. Through the final 6:15 of the first, the Green Wave set off on an 18-5 run in which five players notched points to trim the SFA lead to 41-28 at the break.

Of the five field goals put in by the 'Jacks in the final 20 minutes, Geffrard amassed three of them. The first of those came on a step-through layup 3:09 into the final stanza.

Louis Dabney gave fans the attendees the first indication that a frenetic finish could be in the works as he slung in seven of the first eight Tulane points of the frame. The guard's triple with 15:05 to go brought the Green Wave within single digits for the first time since the score read 16-7 with 13:20 remaining in the second half.

Once Dabney hit nothing but net on his three-pointer, Kain Harris and Jernard Jarreau followed suit by striking for three trifectas between them over the next 8:02. Still, the 'Jacks were able to remain ahead by 11 after Geffrard's jumper with 7:45 left which made matters 56-45.

From that point on, a three-pointer from Demetrious Floyd counted for the only points SFA would score. On the other end of things, the Green Wave scored 15, including a put-back slam by Melvin Frazier to pull Tulane within five, 59-54, with 3:08 remaining.

Through that final stretch, SFA went 0-for-3 from the field and committed two of their 11 turnovers in the final 1:32. Following Osetkowski's layup, Thomas Walkup got his last-ditch shot blocked by Jarreau and the Green Wave corralled the defensive carom and watched the last two seconds tick off the clock.

Floyd added 10 for SFA, but the 'Jacks were out-rebounded 23-13 in the last 20 minutes and Jerreau accounted for nine of those rebounds. Dabney and Kain each scored 14 for the Green Wave.

Following a Saturday devoid of action, the 'Jacks will meet up with Appalachian State at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoon in the final game for both institutions in the Challenge in Music City. The non-conference tilt will be televised on American Sports Network.