Pollok man accepts prison time for assaulting ex-girlfriend, breaking her friend's jaw

Pollok man accepts prison time for assaulting ex-girlfriend, breaking her friend's jaw

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A 27-year-old Pollok man accepted a plea bargain deal of 10 years in a Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison for breaking a woman's jaw when she intervened to protect his ex-girlfriend after both women turned down his offer to stay the night with him.

Cory Michael Walton appeared in Judge Paul White's 159th Judicial District Friday for a plea hearing. As part of the plea agreement, Walton pleaded guilty to a second-degree felony aggravated assault charge.

Al Charanza, Walton's defense attorney, said that Walton will also have to pay the victim $26,000 in restitution for her broken jaw. Charanza also said that Walton could be eligible for shock probation at a later date.

Walton will also have to serve six months in the county jail for a probation violation.

When Walton was originally arrested, he was charged with second-degree aggravated assault charge and two misdemeanors - interfering with an emergency call and assault causing bodily injury.

According to the arrest affidavit, an ACSO detective took over the case on May 19. An Angelina County deputy went to Woodland Heights Medical Center on May 16 to take the original report from the two victims, ages 31 and 22.

The ACSO detective followed up with the 31-year-old woman later that day. According to the affidavit, she was unable to speak to him verbally because her jaw had been broken and wired shut. However, she was able to answer his questions by writing the answers down in a notebook.

The victim said that on May 16, she, the other victim, and Walton were hanging out and driving around together when they went to Walton's residence, and he asked them both to come inside and stay the night with him, the affidavit stated. Walton allegedly got angry when both women refused.

The two women started driving away from the residence, and Walton grabbed the side of their vehicle in an attempt to make them stop. The driver stopped long enough to make sure that Walton wasn't going to get hurt and then drove away, according to the affidavit.

A short time later, Walton called the 22-year-old woman, his ex-girlfriend, and asked her to return to his residence, so he could apologize to her. When they got there, the 31-year-old stayed in the car.

During the conversation, Walton allegedly got angry again and started yelling at the 22-year-old woman. He also punched her in the left side of the face, knocking her to the ground, the affidavit stated. At that point, Walton allegedly put his hands around the woman's neck and started choking her.

The 31-year-old woman said that she jumped out of the vehicle and ran to help her friend, the affidavit stated. As she was doing so, the first woman told her to call 911. When the 31-year-old tried to run back to the car, where they had both left their cell phones, Walton allegedly ran to the vehicle before she could get there, grabbed the car keys and the cell phones, and threw all the objects away from the car.

During the interview, the 31-year-old woman said she was able to find her car keys and after she returned to help her friend up from the ground, she heard Walton say, "How does it feel to step to a man?"

According to the affidavit, she turned, and then Walton punched her twice on the left side of her face, adding that the punches were "fast and consecutive."

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.