From SFA Athletics
NACOGDOCHES, TX (Press Release)- In its third straight game away from home, the Stephen F. Austin women’s basketball team is set for battle against TCU on Wednesday night at the University Recreation Center. The Ladyjacks will look to get even with the Horned Frogs after falling to the Big 12 foe in the first round of the WNIT last March. SFA will also look to spoil TCU’s 11-game home winning streak when the teams collide starting at 7:00 p.m.
• After starting the 2015-16 season 4-1 under first year head coach Mark Kellogg, the Ladyjacks have dropped their last three games to move to 4-4 on the year. SFA has been in each of the three games down the stretch during the skid, losing by an average of just 7.0 points with one overtime defeat. The ‘Jacks haven’t lost four consecutive tilts since early in the 2012-13 season.
• SFA last met TCU on March 19, 2015 in the first round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament. After securing the Southland Conference’s automatic bid to the postseason tourney for winning the regular season title, the Ladyjacks pushed the Horned Frogs to the brink but ultimately fell just short, 85-80, in Fort Worth. Led by Porsha Roberts’ career-high 35 points, SFA outscored TCU 49-39 in the final 20 minutes to overcome a 16-point first half deficit and climb within three points with 14 seconds to play. The Ladyjacks are 2-3 all-time against the Frogs.
• The Ladyjacks are coming off two tough losses in the Hospitality Hill Tournament hosted by the University of North Texas last weekend. Despite using a 24-point turnaround in the second half to go up by seven with under three minutes to play, SFA fell short against IUPUI, 62-55, in overtime. The next day, the ‘Jacks ran out of steam in the closing minutes of a highly competitive match with Weber State, falling 56-46. Taylor Ross led SFA with 11.0 points and 3.0 steals over the weekend.
• Junior guard Taylor Ross has lived up to her 2015 Preseason All-SLC hype so far this year. The Pflugerville native boasts a team-best 18.5 ppg with 18 assists and 15 steals in six games played. She has scored in double figures in every contest. Ross has tallied 20 or more points in SFA’s last three wins, averaging 23.3 ppg and shooting 58.5 percent from the field. Over the current three-game losing streak, she has scored 13.7 ppg on 37.1 percent shooting.
• Redshirt sophomore forward Stevi Parker has been a workhorse for the purple and white through eight games this year. She is nearly averaging a double-double a night with 9.1 points and a team-high 8.3 rebounds per game. Parker, a native of Bixby, Oklahoma, has hauled in at least nine boards in each of the last five games with 10+ rebounds in four of the five. She has one double-double on the year, coming in the form of a 20-point, 11-rebound outburst against SIUE on Nov. 27.