Angelina Co. drowning victim family: 'He's always going to be with us'

Angelina Co. drowning victim family: 'He's always going to be with us'

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - The family of 23-year-old Markus Smith, whose body was found in the Neches River Thursday night, said they've found peace knowing that he's in a better place.

"It was just a big relief, my mind didn't have to wonder anymore," Kendra Smith, Markus older sister said. "I know where he was, that's all I wanted."

Marcus went missing Saturday, November 28th. The 23-year-old was a passenger in a 2014 Dodge car, driven by Adrian Segura, 23, of Lufkin. The car he was in left the road and crashed into the Neches River.

It's been a rough couple of weeks for this close knit family since their loved one went missing.

"It broke my heart because, it's always me and Markus," Kendra said. "When we moved to Texas it was me and him so we always looked out for each other."

Markus was the youngest of Glenis' children, and is described as the type of person who could light up the room.

"Markus has a big heart, there wasn't anything he wouldn't do for his family or his friends," Kendra said.

"He was my baby, and like Kendra was saying he was outgoing and he would make you laugh no matter what," Glenis Smith, Markus' mother said.

Since the 23-year-old's disappearance things haven't been the same for the family. However, through prayer and faith they've stayed strong.

"I had pretty much prepared myself for the worst," Kendra said. "The worst happened so I'm fine now."
"Thank you God, at least he's found," Glenis said.

Search crews and volunteers spent days searching for Markus in the Neches River, and for that the family is thankful. Last night, just before sundown, they received the heartbreaking news that his body was recovered from the Neches River, where he was last seen.

"To even fathom that he has to go through something like that, it broke my heart," Kendra said.

Although they were prepared for the worst, the Smith family said they were never prepared to lose him so young.

"I'm going to miss him," Glenis said. "I know God's got him now."

"He's always going to be here with us and I know that," Kendra said.

Captain Shawn Phillips, a game warden Texas Parks and Wildlife, said they're investigating the accident.

Kendra told us Markus' autopsy results show that he died from an accidental drowning.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.