Jasper Co. house fire claims life of 59-year-old man - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Jasper Co. house fire claims life of 59-year-old man

Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KJAS.com Source: KJAS.com
Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KJAS.com Source: KJAS.com
Source: KJAS.com Source: KJAS.com
JASPER COUNTY, TX (KTRE) -

A house fire in Jasper County claimed the life of a 59-year-old man late Sunday night.

Precinct 5 Justice of the Peace Brett Holloway said that the fire occurred at about 10:20 p.m. Sunday night at a mobile home on County Road 257 near the Jasper Country Club. William Pinkston was found lying on a dead in a back room of the home.

"It does happen from time to time, you never get used to it," said Holloway."You hate to see it happen."

Holloway, who is also the chief of the Rayburn Fire Department, said when the Jasper Fire Department arrived on scene, the home was fully engulfed. The Jasper Fire Department called Rayburn Fire Department to assist.

"The middle and east end of the house was completely in flames," Holloway said. "Mr. Pinkston was in the bedroom in the far west of the building and there weren't as many flames in that area."

“I talked to his sister on the scene who said she talked to him about four minutes before the fire department was called,” Holloway said. “She said he said something to her about the electrical paneling shorting out, and she asked him if he could get out. She was just shocked.”

According to Holloway, Pinkston told his sister he could get out of the house, but when she arrived, he was still inside.

"She indicated he had heart problems and was taking high blood pressure medicine," Holloway said. "I don't know if his death was heart-related or smoke related. Hew was laying on the bed so it didn't appear that he was trying to get out. He don't know if he fell or was overcome by smoke."

Holloway has ordered an autopsy to find out the exact cause of death.

Firefighters used saws to cut access to the bedroom while others kept fighting the blaze, and they found his body a short time later. It is believed that he died of smoke inhalation before the fire reached the bedroom.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly