The tender peas are combined with cheeses and slivers of turnip greens and baked in the oven to create a dip that you and your guests will happily dig into with fresh, crisp tortilla chips.
Try it out as you celebrate the new year!
Mama Steph’s hot cheddar-topped black-eyed pea dip
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 small white onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 1 1/2 cups slivered fresh turnip green leaves
1 medium-sized jalapeno pepper, minced
2 cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (or three cups, cooked and drained)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
Hot sauce and salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a 10-inch oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos, and saute until onion is translucent.
2. Add minced garlic and turnip greens, and saute for 3 or 4 more minutes.
3. Add the blackeyed peas, and smash roughly.
4. Add the cream cheese and a cup shredded cheddar, and stir until everything is melted and creamy. Taste, and add hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Top with remaining shredded cheddar, and place in 350 degree oven until cheese is melty and beginning to turn golden-brown.
Serve this dip with fresh tortilla chips, and add salsa and sour cream, if desired.
Happy New Year, my friends!
This recipe first appeared on Mama Steph's blog, In the Kitchen with Mama Steph.