Father-son duo arrested after hours-long standoff in Polk Co.

Father-son duo arrested after hours-long standoff in Polk Co.
Bill Risden (Source: Polk County Jail)
Bill Risden (Source: Polk County Jail)
Scottie Risden (Source: Polk County Jail)
Scottie Risden (Source: Polk County Jail)

MOSCOW, TX (KTRE) - Deputies with the Polk County Sheriff's Office arrested a father and son early Monday morning after an hours-long standoff in Moscow that started Sunday night and ended Monday morning with a law-enforcement team breaking into the home.

Bill Monroe Risden, 71, and Scottie Lee Risden, 41, are both still being held in the Polk County Jail. Bill Risden was charged with hindering apprehension/prosecution of a known felon, and Scottie Risden was charged with assault of a family member - impeding breath or circulation and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon.

"We tried several different techniques to get them to answer. We tried to get both of them on cell phones, they go to voicemail, no reply. Text, no reply," said Polk County Sheriff Kenneth Hammack.

No bail amount has been set for Bill Risden.  Scottie Risden's bail amount was set at $35,000 for the family violence charge.

Chief Deputy with the Byron Lyons said that the standoff started around 9 p.m. and ended around 2:40 a.m. Monday.

Lyons said that Scottie Risden, a wanted man, was living with his father. He added that they had received a tip that there were guns in the home and that Billie Risden is prone to violence.

Sheriff Kenneth Hammack said deputies arrived at the home to serve a warrant to the son and were met by "uncooperative" people refusing to come out of the home.

Deputies then got into cover position and waited for more deputies.

"We didn't know what the situation was between him and his dad where he might have been holding his dad hostage, as the reason he wouldn't come out. We didn't know what he would do with the guns that were in the house," Hammack said.

After attempts to contact the due were not successful, Lufkin police and the Livingston Fire Department came to "assist with the use of less lethal searching tactics."

"The decision was made to breach the front door and possibly put the robot into the front door and let it search throughout the house as far as it could go," Hammack said.

Hammack said Special Response Team members broke into the home around 2 a.m. and placed both men under arrest.

Scottie Risden was found in a bedroom where multiple guns were found.

Copyright 2016 KTRE. All rights reserved.