From SFA Athletics
NACOGDOCHES, TX (Press Release)- The Stephen F. Austin women's basketball team wraps up a stretch of three straight road games on Wednesday night against Incarnate Word inside the McDermott Convocation Center in San Antonio. The Ladyjacks and Cardinals tip at 6:00 p.m. in what will be their second meeting of the year. Live stats and video will be available through UIWCardinals.com.
• Using its current eight-game winning streak, SFA has vaulted all the way to fourth place in the Southland Conference standings with four games to go. The Ladyjacks haven't lost since Jan. 23 and are the hottest team in the league as no other team has won more than its last four games. An SFA win on Wednesday would move them into the third spot in the league table and into position for the number two seed in the upcoming SLC Tournament.
• The Ladyjacks are coming off two big road wins at Lamar and Nicholls last week. On Thursday, SFA erased a late 16-point deficit to come back and knock of LU 79-77. The 'Jacks followed that thriller with a blowout win at Nicholls on Saturday, outscoring the Colonels 50-30 in the second half to cruise to an 89-67 victory.
• Junior guard Brentney Branch had two huge games off the bench last week. She scored 14 points in the fourth quarter on Thursday night at Lamar to help SFA pull off the dramatic come-from-behind victory. She then hit four threes and scored 14 points in the first half at Nicholls to push the 'Jacks out in front early. With her eight three-pointers during the week, Branch moved into sixth all-time in program history with 144 made three-pointers for her career. She has hit 56 triples this season to rank sixth in program history for a single season.
• Junior guard Taylor Ross had arguably the most complete game of the season on Saturday at Nicholls, registering a game-high 21 points on 7-for-13 shooting while posting season bests in rebounds (7) and steals (6). It is the ninth time this season she's scored 20-plus points. For the fourth consecutive game, Ross also handed out six assists.
• The Ladyjacks have continued to shoot the ball well all season long. The squad currently leads the Southland Conference with a 43.0 field goal percentage through 25 games. During its eight-game winning streak, SFA has shot at least 41.0 percent in every contest, going over 50.0 percent on two occasions.
• Senior captain Taylor Schippers has been consistent for the Ladyjacks throughout the 2015-16 campaign. She has recorded an assist in all 25 games played, leading the team with 89 overall for the season. The point guard has also scored in double figures 16 times. Her 11.0 ppg average is second best on the team.
A LOOK AT INCARNATE WORD
• The Ladyjacks are a perfect 4-0 all-time against Incarnate Word heading into Wednesday's game. Since the young series began during the 2013-14 season, SFA has won every meeting by at least 12 points. Earlier this year on Feb. 11 in Nacogdoches, SFA shot nearly 57 percent from the field and put five players in double figures to beat the Cardinals 74-62.
• The Cardinals have been slumping over the last couple weeks, dropping their last five games with all but one coming by double digits. UIW has lost eight of its last nine overall and comes into the midweek game against SFA with a 6-19 overall record and a 3-11 mark in SLC play. Its last win came on Feb. 3 at Nicholls, 63-61.