Crockett FD: Home a total loss after mattress catches on fire - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Crockett FD: Home a total loss after mattress catches on fire

Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
CROCKETT, TX (KTRE) -

A lamp is to blame for a fire which destroyed a home in Crockett Tuesday morning.

Crockett Fire Chief John Angerstein said the fire started with a mattress and a night light.

"The homeowner, Olga Ramirez, was home alone with her nine-month old baby when she found that her mattress had caught on fire from a night light that had overheated and melted," Angerstein said. "She removed the mattress to the porch outside and tried to extinguish it with a water hose when it ended up catching the house on fire. She was able to escape out the back of the home with her baby and call 911. The fire was ruled accidental by the Crockett Fire Marshal."

Angerstein said everything was a total loss and several agencies are helping the family of six right now.

"They have been referred to Red Cross for assistance," Angerstein said. "The Crockett Fire Department also has an account where money can be donated to assist the Ramirez Family at Prosperity Bank in Crockett or Grapeland - Reference the Crockett Fire Department Benefit Fund and all proceeds will go to them. All clothes and food items can be donated to them through S.H.A.R.E. at 207 S 8th Street, Crockett, TX or you can call the office at 936-544-5600."

Latexo VFD, The Houston County Fire Marshal's Office, Crockett PD, Houston County Sheriff's Office, Houston County EMS and TXDOT all assisted with the fire.

Copyright 2016 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly