Trial begins for Lufkin man accused of forcing 2 girls to take meth, sexually assaulting them

Trial begins for Lufkin man accused of forcing 2 girls to take meth, sexually assaulting them

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - Editor's Note: There is some graphic language in this story that some viewers may find disturbing.

The trial for a Lufkin man accused of sexually assaulting two underage girls after forcing them to take meth got underway Wednesday morning.

Brandon Pipkin, 39, was arrested in 2014 on the charges. He is facing four counts and had pleaded not guilty to the charges. According to the arrest affidavit, members of the ACSO Criminal Investigation Division were notified of a 911 call in which a 17-year-old girl told the dispatcher that she had been drugged and sexually assaulted by Pipkin.

The girl told the dispatcher that Pipkin had forced her to take meth and then sexually assaulted her. When the ACSO investigators spoke to the girl and another 15-year-old girl that had been at the same location said they would either smoke the meth or snort the substance in its powdered form, the affidavit stated.

Both girls allegedly told the investigators that Pipkin had told them on numerous occasions how sexually aroused he got when he was high on the meth. The 17-year-old girl also told the investigators that on Nov. 30, she and Pipkin snorted meth, and she passed out, the affidavit stated.

The 17-year-old victim explained that she was wearing less clothing than she had been when she passed out. She also told the ACSO investigators that even though "everything that had occurred was extremely blurry," she remembered having sexual intercourse with Pipkin, the affidavit stated.

According to the affidavit, the 15-year-old girl told investigators that sometime during the week of Thanksgiving, she snorted meth with Pipkin, the affidavit stated. She said she was intoxicated enough that her body felt "very heavy and weak." At that point, the girl laid in the bed with Pipkin, and he allegedly began touching her inappropriately over and under her clothes.

A SANE exam conducted on the 17-year-old victim revealed that she had injuries consistent with recent sexual intercourse, the affidavit stated. In addition, a toxicology test taken on the day she made the 911 call revealed that she had methamphetamine in her system, according to the affidavit.

In his opening statement, Art Bauereiss gave the jury a 10-minute summary linking Pipkin to the two victims. Bauereiss also said there is a jailhouse recording that could be seen as an admission by Pipkin.

Defense attorney John Tunnel told the jury that the stories told by the victims continue to change along the way. Tunnel asked the jury to pay attention to the way the accounts are changed.

Laura Patton, a 911 dispatcher, was the first witness to take the stand. Patton told Bauereiss that she received a call from the Oak Ridge mobile home park after 8 p.m. on Dec. 1, 2014.

Patton said the call was from a female and the call was recorded.

Bauereiss then played the 911 call that the 17-year-old allegedly made. The audio is hard to make out with the cell phone dropping in and out. The girl told dispatch she remembers waking up and having less clothes on. She told Patton she remembers sleeping for a while and the last person she was around was Pipkin.

The last thing Patton told the girl was to gather the clothes she had on the night before, so she could give them to the deputy that was on his way.

Deputy James Tiner then took the witness stand. Tiner was the deputy that responded to the 911 call. Tiner said he spoke to her and she told him that Pipkin had assaulted her and molested her on several occasions.

Tiner said while he was on-scene and talking to the girl, Pipkin drove up. Tiner said there was a female in the truck with him.

"It was cold, and I asked if she wanted to go inside and get warm," Tiner said. "I opened the door, and when I did, I saw a small baggie of what appeared to be meth."

Sgt. Howard McDaniel told Bauereiss he was told by the dispatcher he was being called out to a sexual assault of a child call.

"Deputy Tiner was already there before me," McDaniel said. "There was a younger female in his Tahoe. She was cold, shaking, and frightened."

McDaniel said the girls told them that she woke up and her body was hurting, and she had a slimy substance on her. McDaniel said she told him he took a shower at that point.

McDaniel said when they saw the drugs in Pipkin's truck, they were able to arrest him for possession of a controlled substance.

McDaniel said it was about an hour and half after he talked to the girl that he made the report.
Detective Harold Rapsilver said he was a late arrival to the mobile home park.

"I got there around 10 or 10:30," Rapsilver said. "I met with [Pete] Maskunas and then assisted another detective with trying to get a search warrant. It was a single-wide trailer home. I believe it was a three-bed room, two bathroom."

Rapsilver said the investigators found several pieces of drug paraphernalia and scales in the home.

The afternoon started with the testimony of the victim who was 17 at the time of the alleged sexual assault and is now 18.

The 18-year-old alleged victim told Bauereiss that Pipkin was the one that introduced her to meth.

"He put this crystal substance in a bowl and smashed it down," the alleged victim said. "He told me to put it up my nose. I blacked out. I was looking around the room and messing with my fingers. I zoned out."

The 18-year-old said she believes it was several hours of feeling zoned out.

When asked by Bauereiss how many times she used meth with Pipkin she stated, "Too many to count" and that she believes she became addicted to the drug.

The 18-year-old then talked about calling 911.

"They told me to turn my GPS on, so they could find me," the alleged victim said. "I was scared. I was scared he was going to come back."

The 18-year-old alleged victim then backtracked and explained what happened with her and Pipkin. She said she "zoned out" after taking a hit of meth and remembers hearing what sounded like a condom being unwrapped. The alleged victim stated she started crying and the next thing she remembers is being in a shower.

The 18-year-old said she was taken to a hospital and then Harold's House for an interview and talked to deputies several times through the night.

The 18-year-old alleged victim said in the following days she had problems.

"I felt like I was seeing demons," the young woman said. "I couldn't sleep. I couldn't go back to school because I was having a breakdown."

The 18-year-old alleged victim said she got in contact with a group that was able to help her out and she talked to other children that have the same issues. She then told Bauereiss she has since been able to get off of meth.

The 18 year-old alleged victim then answered questions from Tunnel. She told Tunnel it was true that she had previously accused another adult male, and she told the defense attorney she was unsure of how long all of this would have taken. The alleged victim said she never saw the condom, but she knew what they sounded like.

She told Baueriess that Pipkin is the only person to ever supply her with meth and that she knew he had condoms because she had seen them.

Norma Sanford, A SANE exam nurse at Harold's House, then spoke about the exam she took on the now 18-year-old victim. Sanford said she was a little anxious but not more than any other person that has come in.

Sanford said based on her exam, there were signs the victim had sex prior to the alleged assault. Sandford also said that there was recent evidence of an assault. Sandford told Bauereiss that it is possible that the use of a condom could hinder the gathering of DNA evidence.

The second victim, who was 15 years-old at the time, then answered questions.

She said there were several conversations with Pipkin where he would push her to use drugs.

"He kept saying it's not as bad as you think it is and he kept pushing it so I finally just did."

She said the first time she used meth with him was a Friday morning.

"He said I did not have to go to school if I did not want to, and he kept pushing it," the second alleged victim said. "He then took some and kept talking to me about it so I finally did it."

The 15 year old said she was scared but did it, and it burned her throat when she smoked it.

"[It felt like that] for about 30 seconds and then I started sweating and I started panicking," the second alleged victim said.

Copyright 2016 KTRE. All rights reserved.