Lufkin man who forced girls to take meth, sexually assaulted them gets 119-year sentence

Lufkin man who forced girls to take meth, sexually assaulted them gets 119-year sentence
Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KTRE Staff

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A few hours after an Angelina County jury found a Lufkin man guilty of forcing two underage girls to take meth before he sexually assaulted them, they sentenced him to a total of 119 years in a Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison.

Brandon Pipkin was sentenced to 99 years in prison for the sexual assault of a child charge, 20 years for the indecency with a child charge, and 20 years each for the two delivery of a controlled substance. Judge Paul White ruled that Pipkin will serve the sentences for Counts 1, 3, and 4 concurrently, or at the same time. The remaining 20-year sentence will be added to the 99-year sentence.

Pipkin will also have to pay a fine of $5,000 for the sexual assault of a child charge. He will not be eligible for probation for that charge or any of the other three charges.

The jury found Brandon Pipkin guilty on all four counts at about 11:39 a.m. Friday.

Brandon Pipkin, 39, was arrested in 2014 on the charges. He is facing four counts and had pleaded not guilty to the charges. According to the arrest affidavit, members of the ACSO Criminal Investigation Division were notified of a 911 call in which a 17-year-old girl told the dispatcher that she had been drugged and sexually assaulted by Pipkin.

The girl told the dispatcher that Pipkin had forced her to take meth and then sexually assaulted her. When the ACSO investigators spoke to the girl and another 15-year-old girl that had been at the same location said they would either smoke the meth or snort the substance in its powdered form, the affidavit stated.

Both girls allegedly told the investigators that Pipkin had told them on numerous occasions how sexually aroused he got when he was high on the meth. The 17-year-old girl also told the investigators that on Nov. 30, she and Pipkin snorted meth, and she passed out, the affidavit stated.

Earlier in the day, Pipkin chose not to take the stand in his own defense.

During his closing arguments, John Tunnel, Pipkin's defense attorney acknowledged to the jurors that it was an emotional trial. Then he urged them to make their decision based on facts, not emotion.

Tunnel touched on Pipkin's initial reaction when he heard what he was being charged with.

"He looked shocked, surprised, and physically ill," Tunnel said.

Tunnel told the jurors that they need to consider all the contradictions that he believes exist in the case. He also questioned the credibility of the victims and the witnesses.

He said the older victim wasn't truthful when she called law enforcement and that the second girl's story did not completely match the first girl's account.

District Attorney Art Bauereiss challenged Tunnel's statements and reminded the jurors that the two girls were scared when they first called the sheriff's office. He added it was obvious that the two victims had been through something traumatic.

Bauereiss also told the jurors to remember Pipkin's phone conservations from the jail.

"He said, 'If I could rewind a week, I would'" Bauereiss said. "But who talks like that? An innocent man or a guilty one?

Then the prosecution touched on Pipkin's recorded apology.

"He said he's very sorry, but what's he sorry for?" Bauereiss said.

The jury began to deliberate at about 10:15 a.m. Friday.

Copyright 2016 KTRE. All rights reserved.