ZAVALLA, TX (KTRE) - A Zavalla family is left homeless Sunday morning after they said a bolt of lightning set their home on fire.
It happened at 17000 U.S. Highway 69 South in between Huntington and Zavalla around 5 p.m. Saturday evening.
It took firefighters from Zavalla, Huntington, Fuller Springs, and Moffet Fire Departments just to get the flames down.
Sunday, after officials used thousands of gallons of water to put the fire out, the home is still smoldering. The Zavalla fire chief said the bolt looked to have struck the attic. It took almost four hours for them to end the blaze.
"The family was actually in the house when it happened. They were about to leave when they walked out, saw the smoke coming out of the house. The home owner tried to distinguish it with a water hose but wasn't able to," said Thomas Blalock, Zavalla Volunteer Fire Department Chief.
A family of four lived in the home. It's a complete loss, but everyone was able to evacuate the home without injuries.