GRAPELAND, TX (KTRE) - A Houston teen died Wednesday at Memorial Hermann Hospital after he became ill with flu-like symptoms authorities believe are the result of him contracting a brain-eating amoeba while he was working as a lifeguard at a Christian camp in Grapeland, according to KPRC.
According to the KPRC story, the director of the Frontier Camp, which is next to Houston County Lake, said that Hudson, who had just graduated from high school and was working as a lifeguard, became sick over the weekend and exhibited flu-like symptoms. On Monday, Adams was transferred to Memorial Hermann, where he was put on life support, the story stated.
Adams died Wednesday night, according to the KPRC story.
"Our hearts are heavy this morning as we share news that Hudson Adams went home to be with the Lord yesterday," a post on the camp's Facebook page stated. "A former camper and current summer staffer, Hudson was a loyal friend and hard worker, who always served joyfully and with humility in his service to others and the Lord."
The post said Adams was fun to be around, and he "loved his cape socks."
"While we will miss our friend, brother in Christ, and fellow laborer in the good work of sharing the Gospel, we look forward to the day we will see him again in the presence of our Lord and Savior," the post stated.
Services for Adams are scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m. at Ecclesia Houston at 1100 Elder, according to a post on the camp's page.
"This is the second case of a brain-eating amoeba in the Houston area in the last year," the KPRC story stated. "Last August, 14-year-old Michael Riley contracted a deadly amoeba after jumping into a lake in the Sam Houston National Forest."
For the full text of the KPRC story, click this link.