Little Trevor McCurry is like most other toddlers. Busy, Active...into a lot of things. The past January that curiosity turned dangerous. At a relatives for dinner one evening, Trevor found a decorative candle...filled with oil...and decided to take a drink.
"You had to prepare yourself for the worst I felt like," says father Marty McCurry, "but I didn't know what was going to happen if it had come to that. I don't know that I was every comfortable with what was happening."
What was happening almost took little Trevor's life. The oil went into the little boys lungs and began to burn away at lung tissue. He took a helicopter to from a Gilmer hospital to Children's Hospital in Dallas. It was there Tina McCurry began to feel the power of prayer.
"I knew that there were people praying for me," says Tina McCurry. "It was like...helping me out with this. I don't know how to explain how I was feeling. I didn't feel alone."
For five days Trevor would lay in a drug induced coma state. Doctors not sure if his lungs would heal. The McCurrys held on to the faith that back on in the Upshur County Community of Bettie, prayer was at work.
"It was just all over this community, or Upshur County really," says Marty. "And the people at my work in Longview there are just churches everywhere and its just hard to explain. You just had to know how big an area people knew what was going on with him...and everyone decided to help by prayer. To this day I believe that was a big part of it."
After five days little Tevor began to slowly improve. He would spend a total of 18 days at Dallas Children's Hospital. He was released three months ago. Today its hard to tell the little 17 month old is any different than before the accident. But his parents know their son is very different today, thanks to the Power of Prayer. A lesson one day they'll pass on to their son.