From Deep East Texas Crime Stoppers
LUFKIN, TEXAS (News Release) - Crime Stoppers wants you to have a happy Thanksgiving and safe holiday shopping experience, and making you a less appealing target for criminals will help ensure both.
Secure your house and you'll worry less when away from home.
- Keeping an up-to-date home inventory is simple and will help in the event of a burglary or insurance claim; using your phone’s camera is a quick and effective way to record the make, model, serial number, and detailed description of all your belongings.
- Use timers to operate lights and televisions; randomness in the timing can create the appearance that someone is home.
- Your doors and windows must be locked and your alarm system must be activated in order to serve any security purpose; lock all doors and windows and turn on the alarm every time you leave the home.
- Contact your local law enforcement agency to request patrols of your residence when you leave home for an extended period.
- Black Friday deals are great, but saving a few dollars does little good when your car is burglarized, your purse is stolen, or your credit card is lost.
- Never leave your purchases visible in your car.
- Park only in areas with adequate lighting; it may be dark when you return to your car.
- Keep purses and wallets on your person and hold them securely at all times.
- Limit the amount of cash and credit cards you carry to prevent losing everything in your purse or wallet is lost or stolen.
- Compare your receipts to your online or billing statement to spot fraud.
- Be aware of your surroundings and immediately report suspicious people.