ETOILE, TX (KTRE) - An Etoile man's dog woke him up in time for him to escape his mobile home before it was destroyed by a fire late Saturday night.
David Chandler, 52, said that after his dog woke him up at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday, he smelled smoke and got out of his home at the Shirley Creek Marina as soon as he could. Chandler wasn't hurt in the fire, but he lost everything as a result of it.
David Stallings, his friend, set up a gofundme page to help Chandler, whom he described as a fine Christian man.
"My good friend, David Chandler, lost everything he had last night when his RV burned to the ground at Shirley Creek," Stallings wrote on the gofundme page. "As many of you know, he's been fighting cancer and heart problems for the past year. He was fortunate to have survived the fire.
On the gofundme page, Stallings said that prayers were answered when Chandler was told last week that he is now cancer-free.
"He's been living in his RV and working when he feels up to it at the marina," Stallings wrote. "He's temporarily staying with his son and daughter-in-law in Lufkin. In addition to medical and travel expenses, he's now faced with having to replace his home and contents as soon as possible."