Central, Hudson VFDs stop man cave fire from spreading to nearby - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

BREAKING

Central, Hudson VFDs stop man cave fire from spreading to nearby home

Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
Source: KTRE Staff Source: KTRE Staff
ANGELINA COUNTY, TX (KTRE) -

Firefighters with the Central and Hudson Volunteer Fire Departments worked fast to stop a blaze from a detached man cave from spreading to a home off of barbecue road.

The first crews arrived on scene before noon before asking for assistance from Hudson. According to homeowner Charles Garner, the fire possibly started from a wood burning heater in the building.

"My wife and I were in town and were driving back in and I saw the smoke," Garner said. "At first it was a small fire so I grabbed a water hose to put it out. That seemed to make it worse. I went around to the front part of it and opened the door to get to it better and it exploded in front of me. It blew the door open and that's when I told my wife to call 911."

Garner said he used the building that was feet away from the home as an escape for when he wanted to be alone. Garner said he lost several things in the fire but was happy that the home was able to be spared. 

"I've been in this house for about 20 years and we haven't had anything to happen like this," Garner said. "This always happens to somebody somewhere so we are not excused from what happened today. We are truly blessed to get away from it without getting hurt."

Tonight, Garner is just happy to celebrate a new year in his home that is still standing.

Copyright 2016 KTRE All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly